Customer Reviews for

Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why

Average Rating 4
( 66 )
Rating Distribution

5 Star

(26)

4 Star

(25)

3 Star

(7)

2 Star

(3)

1 Star

(5)

Your Rating:

Your Name: Create a Pen Name or

Barnes & Noble.com Review Rules

Our reader reviews allow you to share your comments on titles you liked, or didn't, with others. By submitting an online review, you are representing to Barnes & Noble.com that all information contained in your review is original and accurate in all respects, and that the submission of such content by you and the posting of such content by Barnes & Noble.com does not and will not violate the rights of any third party. Please follow the rules below to help ensure that your review can be posted.

Reviews by Our Customers Under the Age of 13

We highly value and respect everyone's opinion concerning the titles we offer. However, we cannot allow persons under the age of 13 to have accounts at BN.com or to post customer reviews. Please see our Terms of Use for more details.

What to exclude from your review:

Please do not write about reviews, commentary, or information posted on the product page. If you see any errors in the information on the product page, please send us an email.

Reviews should not contain any of the following:

  • - HTML tags, profanity, obscenities, vulgarities, or comments that defame anyone
  • - Time-sensitive information such as tour dates, signings, lectures, etc.
  • - Single-word reviews. Other people will read your review to discover why you liked or didn't like the title. Be descriptive.
  • - Comments focusing on the author or that may ruin the ending for others
  • - Phone numbers, addresses, URLs
  • - Pricing and availability information or alternative ordering information
  • - Advertisements or commercial solicitation

Reminder:

  • - By submitting a review, you grant to Barnes & Noble.com and its sublicensees the royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable right and license to use the review in accordance with the Barnes & Noble.com Terms of Use.
  • - Barnes & Noble.com reserves the right not to post any review -- particularly those that do not follow the terms and conditions of these Rules. Barnes & Noble.com also reserves the right to remove any review at any time without notice.
  • - See Terms of Use for other conditions and disclaimers.
Search for Products You'd Like to Recommend

Recommend other products that relate to your review. Just search for them below and share!

Create a Pen Name

Your Pen Name is your unique identity on BN.com. It will appear on the reviews you write and other website activities. Your Pen Name cannot be edited, changed or deleted once submitted.

 
Your Pen Name can be any combination of alphanumeric characters (plus - and _), and must be at least two characters long.

Continue Anonymously

Most Helpful Favorable Review

4 out of 4 people found this review helpful.

Good book

I read this book because it was on the www.personalmba.com reading list. I went into with an open mind, and I was ready to see how surviving traumatic events were linked to everyday life; well, I wasn't disappointed.

* Control your fear by laughing/smiling/making fun...
I read this book because it was on the www.personalmba.com reading list. I went into with an open mind, and I was ready to see how surviving traumatic events were linked to everyday life; well, I wasn't disappointed.

* Control your fear by laughing/smiling/making fun at it, and be cool. This actually works. I used it in a meeting and a confrontation on the subway. The be cool mantra rings in my head and it works.
* Plans don't always work; rely more on emotional response. I have found myself stuck on a plan and explaining away obvious cues and issues. I can acknowledge it now, and I have even found myself thinking - am I explaining this away?
* It's ok to resign into a situation but not give up. It's true you come full circle. The "is what it is" mentality has pulled me through difficult times.

There are many other points; not all equally valuable (at least to me). It's a good read; so, enjoy.

posted by Marquito on December 6, 2009

Was this review helpful? Yes  No   Report this review

Most Helpful Critical Review

1 out of 1 people found this review helpful.

When confronted with a life-threatening situation, 90% of people

When confronted with a life-threatening situation, 90% of people freeze or panic this book is about what the remaining 10% do to survive and thrive. It is written by Laurence Gonzoles, who has written for national geographic and other nature magazines. His writing style...
When confronted with a life-threatening situation, 90% of people freeze or panic this book is about what the remaining 10% do to survive and thrive. It is written by Laurence Gonzoles, who has written for national geographic and other nature magazines. His writing style is a bit jumpy and confusing at times, but that is also what makes it a fun read. He uses a lot of imagery and first hand knowledge to seem like he really knows what he is talking about.
Deep Survival goes through many real life scenario which entail survival themes. From snowmobilers in the backcountry, to hikers on mount hood. Almost every type of survival is talked about in depth. The major theme throught the entire book is that those with the will to survive will survive, it doesnt matter the tools at your disposal. Another message in the book is that all training you have will go out the window when your running on pure adrenalin; once that fight of flight response is engaged, those are your only two options. This is not your normal survival handbook that tells you what you need to know, the only message that this one tells you to bring out into the woods to survive is that you must want to survive.
What I liked most about this book is his seemingly experienced attitude, like he knew what he was talking about. This really made the book believable and a true non-fiction experience. This I didn’t really enjoy about this book were the jumpy ramblings not having todo with survival, or his oh so canny way of relating everything back to his grandfather. We get it bro, your grandfather is your hero, he doesn’t need to be in every paragraph although. I also didnt like how long this book was for the message it was getting at; it didnt need all 15 chapters, it could have gotten away with just 5. In the end I would give this book 3 out of 5 stars for the messages and evidence it had, this could have been 4 stars if it was just presented in a better way.

posted by Nhug5280 on March 7, 2012

Was this review helpful? Yes  No   Report this review
Sort by: Showing all of 5 review with 1 star rating   See All Ratings
Page 1 of 1
  • Anonymous

    Posted March 29, 2012

    Brag Book

    This book is mostly bragging by the author. What a waste of time. His basic theory is that accidents are going to happen.

    Was this review helpful? Yes  No   Report this review
  • Anonymous

    Posted April 1, 2010

    NOT WHAT I THOUGHT!

    Was un-happy with book. Was hoping for more stories on survival. This reads like a Medical Book. I do not care what part of the brain is working and why. Just give me the true stories and stop trying to impress the medical world with your findings.

    0 out of 3 people found this review helpful.

    Was this review helpful? Yes  No   Report this review
  • Anonymous

    Posted December 1, 2005

    just horrible

    Deep Surival? Ha, more like Deep Thoughts with Jack Handy. This is an astonishingly bad book - the absolute worst of this over extended and worn out style of nonfiction . Quasi-scientific, sloppy logic, utterly confused hero worshipping drivel - I have a feeling Gonzales' own father cringed when he read it. A nightmare soup of Anthony Robbins, Oliver Stone, Tom Brokaw, and some dude with a spanking new copy of The Best of Epictetus. I literally cheered when the guy in chaper 11 slipped from the raft and effectively removed himself from Gonzales' smug babble. And even though I saw it coming from about the second paragraph, I laughed out loud when I made it to the appendix and Gonzales' point-by-point 'The Rules of Adventure.' Of course there is also a handy link on his website if you want to arrange an inspiring and informative lecture at your next company conference. God help us. Read and enjoy Jon Krakauer and then run screaming from this genre.

    0 out of 3 people found this review helpful.

    Was this review helpful? Yes  No   Report this review
  • Anonymous

    Posted June 3, 2010

    No text was provided for this review.

  • Anonymous

    Posted February 18, 2010

    No text was provided for this review.

Sort by: Showing all of 5 review with 1 star rating   See All Ratings
Page 1 of 1