- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Posted November 4, 2009
biased, unfair and fear/hate mongering
1) Melanie Phillips is Jewish so we're not exactly going to get an unbiased, fair view from her are we, especially about Islam and muslims? She occasionally writes for the Jewish Chronicle and if she loves Israel so much I'd suggest she emigrate there.
2) Muslims only make up 2.5% of the UK population so the Muslim population is not as huge as Melanie Phillips tries to make it out to be. Also, there are areas or ghettoes in the UK that have large populations of Jews (Golders Green), Hindu's (Tooting, Leicester) and Sikhs (Slough). So this is not just a Muslim problem and she is totally wrong in her assertion that "as you travel across London you notice that district after district seems to have become a distinctive Muslim neighbourhood".
3) As for her gripe about muslim women wearing the hijab, headscarf, burkha or niqab then what about nuns who wear apparel (in the name of their religion) that is not too dissimilar from that worn by muslim women. It is modest and chaste as it covers the head, bosom, arms and feet. So why is this gripe not also directed towards nuns I wonder.
4) She moans about Sharia law in the UK but what about the Beth Din (which is a rabbinical court of Judaism) in London. This has officially been operating for many years alongside british law/courts. In Orthodox and Conservative Judaism, a beth din consists of three observant Jewish men, at least one of whom is widely knowledgeable in Jewish law (halakha). I wonder why the beth din is simply glossed over in her book!!!
5) Wake up and do not be misled by her vile poisonous adamant views and beliefs. We only have to look at the recent example of Serbia where hatred and fear (peddled under the guise of freedom, democracy and nationalism) of Muslims lead to genocide and mass murder by Christian Serbs.
6) Remember that it wasn't Muslims who were responsible for the mass murder of Jews in the World War. So I think people should think twice before engaging in Muslim/Islam bashing and should have an open tolerant mind if possible that is not full of hate.
7) Oh, I would have given this piece of work a negative 1 star because of the amount of crass negativity directed towards a certain religion and its followers. Also, there are various misinformed arguments and information that have been exaggerated to force her view and agenda across, which is typical of shoddy journalists/columnists who can get away with it. If a Muslim wrote a book bashing Jews, Judaism or Zionism, he/she would probably end up in jail. Just look at the example of the British historian, David Irving, who was jailed for denying the holocaust. That's freedom of speech and democracy for you!!!
8) Finally, I'd advise Melanie Phillips to worry less, renounce her ultra extreme right wing views, and have a more positive outlook on life and Islam.
0 out of 1 people found this review helpful.Was this review helpful? Yes NoThank you for your feedback. Report this reviewThank you, this review has been flagged.