- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Posted May 25, 2015
I Also Recommend:
... Dark ...
This was a dark book. It centers around 4 people who live dysfunctional lives that intertwine with one another. It left me with many questions while reading- who was at fault for the mess within the story, which parents were the worst, which characters can I feel something for, which characters do I hate the most etc. This book was hard for me because while it was compelling in some aspects, others made me wonder why I bothered reading it in the first place. Anyway, here’s the scoop:Was this review helpful? Yes NoThank you for your feedback. Report this reviewThank you, this review has been flagged.
What I liked:
1. I liked how Braffet gave each of the characters a voice. Each chapter centered around the character of the moment so readers were really able to get to know them and see WHY things happened the way they did.
2. I liked the writing style. Braffet knows how to keep readers engaged in the story even when we want to hate what is happening.
3. I liked how Braffet was able to bring all the characters together for a climax that literally has us hanging on the edge of our seats. Readers essentially have no clue what is going to happen next and this alone gives the story an extra star for me.
4. I like how “real life” the story could be. You never know what is going on in other people’s lives or heads so prior to passing judgements you should think before you act towards someone else. This seems like a pretty good lesson from the book even though it’s not necessarily shown.
What I Didn't Like:
1. I really had a hard time getting into the story. I feel like Braffet spend a little too much time in each chapter describing the character’s lives. To me, it was just really slow and I didn’t really look forward to finishing the book.
2. I don’t like how the story only started to get interesting in the last 30 pages. Yes, it took 280 pages to get me to like the book. Maybe it’s just me but I just got really bored with the story after the first 100 pages until the end when the real climax happened.
3. The book was real, but some of the characters were too extreme for me. When someone picks up a book they want to actually like the characters. For this one, it was too hard to like any of them. Most of them were very weak.
4. There really wasn’t a happy ending. I suppose some would say that there was a little hope at the end but for me, it didn’t cut it.
In any event, I give the book about 3 starts. It was NOTHING like Gillian Flynn’s books either as some have said. Yes, Flynn’s books are dark, but the characters are much more interesting than the ones in this book.
Overall rating: 3.2
Thrill Rating: 3.6
-- My Love of Books --
Posted January 8, 2014
Poor Patrick not only did he have to call the cops on his own da
Poor Patrick not only did he have to call the cops on his own dad but the only family he has left, his brother, thinks that everything that happened was all Patrick's fault needless to say Patrick withdrawals inside himself. Then Layla who is extremely confused and overly blunt, I mean way past rude, walks into Patrick's life. Layla begins an obsession for Patrick that walks the fine line between scary and full blown stalker. Meeting Layla changes Patrick's life for the better but not till after a shotgun gets waved around at him and he ends up shot. My favorite character was Caro, she had a messed up past but she was searching for love and normalcy none the less, she was very easy to relate to. I was not expecting the ending to turn out like it did it took me for a complete surprise I thought the ending would be Mike, who is Patrick's brother, hurting or killing Patrick but I was wrong.Was this review helpful? Yes NoThank you for your feedback. Report this reviewThank you, this review has been flagged.
Recommended for: Those who enjoy a book with dark thoughts and some messed up teenage angst (over the top, really).
Posted August 15, 2013
No text was provided for this review.