- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Posted September 21, 2000
Doesn't talk about the dangers of allergy/anaphylaxis attacks
This book is basically focused on two things: how the body reacts to bad food and how food allergic kids are normal in every other aspect. I believe that it down plays the severity of allergy attacks. The pictures shows having an allergy attack as being sick (in bed)/ mild non-life threatening. It just lists rash, stomache, sneezing and maybe breathing problems. It doesn't talk about the other possible life-threatening symptoms: hives, uncontrolable itching, redness of skin, swollen lips and tongues, difficult breathing to passing out. It doesn't talk about possible anaphylaxis shock which could be fatal if left untreated. It doesn't talk about the medication that one should use (and carry at all times) in case of an attack: hydroxyzine and epi-pen (to buy time when a person is in an anaphylaxis stage). It fails to state that at times, one must call 911 to get help ASAP!!. If left untreated it might lead to death. The way it is written, it just seems that it is just ONLY a mild illness. This can be misleading when anaphylaxis sets in (which can happen). Caregivers, teachers and policy makers might view this as just a mild case of illness instead of the potential life threatening disease that it is. As a parent of a highly food allergic child, this book was upsetting. This book is to educate people about food allergies. It failed to show how serious a condition this can be. With over 6000 children dying from food allergies each year, we need a better book that doesn't treat this as just a casual illness. The books seems to confuse food intolerance (stomache, rash, diarrhea) with food allergies (hives, rash, itching, breathing difficulties, swollen lips and tongues and passing out). The latter IS life threatening.Was this review helpful? Yes NoThank you for your feedback. Report this reviewThank you, this review has been flagged.