- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Ships from: Grand Rapids, MI
Usually ships in 1-2 business days
Profiles include creative geniuses such as food guru Jamie Oliver, vacuum-cleaner mogul James Dyson and accidental ice-cream entrepreneurs Ben & Jerry. This is an accessible collection of stories from Australia and around the world that offers inspiration, ideas and lessons on the principles of successful businesses.
100 Great Businesses and the Minds Behind Them looks at what makes entrepreneurs tick, what drives them, and highlights the pivotal moments in the lives of their businesses. It is a book with lasting lessons on the art of making your business a success.
Journalist Ross and Holland, senior editor of The Age newspaper in Australia, provide an inspirational examination of a highly diverse collection of business leaders and how they made their enterprises successful. Included among the stories are well-known firms such as Nike, the various Virgin brands, and eBay, as well as many other lesser-known companies begun by risk-loving entrepreneurs, including John Symond (Aussie Home Loans), the creator of Liquid Paper Bette Nesmith Graham, Manolo Blahnik (high-end footwear), and James Dyson (Dyson vacuum cleaners). The authors succinctly present the hard work, creativity, luck, and determination that helped shape these success stories, such as the 5,127 prototypes Dyson had to go through before he hit on his currently successful design, as well as other aspects of these global companies. The result is a rousing analysis of the principles of successful businesses, as represented by these firms, that include learning how to finance and build a product, when and how to market, and how to persist through difficult times. Richard Aspel's lively, distinctly Australian narration nicely keeps this fascinating information flowing, making for a sure bet for fans of Donny Deutsch's CNBC television program, The Big Idea. Highly recommended for university libraries supporting a business curriculum and larger public libraries.
Acknowledgments A Note on the Text Introduction
1. The Crowd-Pleasers Pixar Julie Aigner-Clark and Bill Clark Baby Einstein Callaway Barbie Hallmark Cards
2.Thanks for the Idea Red Bull Sony Walkman
3.The Long and Winding Road Liquid Paper Dyson The Kellogg Company
3M and the Post-It Note
4.Do What You Love Weight Watchers Quiksilver Kate Spade and Andy Spade Nobu Wolfgang Puck
5. Thanks for Nothing: The Founders Who Missed out on the Billions Chanel No. 5
The Coca-Cola Company Clarence Birdseye
6. Extreme Makeovers Nokia Avon LVMH Gap Samsung Guinness Adidas
7. The Revolutionaries IKEA Re/Max JD Power Mark Burnett Howard Schulz, Starbucks
8. It Didn't Happen Overnight, BUT It Did Happen Amazon Columbia Sportswear Nutrimetics
9.That's What I Wanted, I Just Didn't Know It Cirque du Soleil Rollerblade Websense Craigslist MTV TiVo Hooters Liz Lange Maternity
10. Survival of the Fittest Microsoft Mars Inc.
XM Satellite Radio
11. Born to Sell Ray Croc, McDonald's Dell Arthur Blank and Bernie Marcus, The Home Depot Mary Kay Ash, Mary Kay Cosmetics Simon Fuller
12. Me, Myself and I Oprah Winfrey Sean Combs Richard Branson Taschen Danni Ashe
13.I Want to Be Alone: the Greta Garbos of Business Oakley Revlon Luxottica
14. Ah, That's How You Do It eBay Limited Brands L'Oreal BlackBerry Wal-Mart Warren Buffett Berkshire Hathaway NetJets
15. Image Is Everything Nike Tiffany & Co.
16. The Business Daredevils FedEx Esprit Playboy
17. The Lennon & McCartney Duos Tupperware Apple id Software Google Seinfeld
18. Funky, Inc Juicy Couture Jamie Oliver CollegeHumour.com MAC Cosmetics (Makeup Artists Cosmestics)
19. From Hippy to Hip Aveda Ben & Jerry's
20. Beware of Cheap Imitations Steinway Lego Harley-Davidson Four Seasons Hotels Manolo Blahnik Porsche Prada Alessi
21. No Experience Necessary Subway Mrs Fields Cookies Diners Club Jani-King
22. And Now for Something Completely Different Play-Doh Dippin' Dots Build-A-Bear Workshop Disposable Diapers Neopets Super Soaker
Index About the Authors