Read an Excerpt
Sample quotes for 1001 Stupid Sports Quotes
"I don't see it happening unless every NBA player is given a stipend to buy clothes."
- Denver Nuggets' Marcus Camby, who makes $8 million a year, on the NBA's proposed dress code
"I don't have to worry about what people think of me, whether they hate me or not. People hated on Jesus.”
- Philadelphia Eagles WR Terrell Owens, comparing himself to Jesus
"If I'd have had a gun, I'd have probably shot him."
- Seattle manager Mike Hargrove, on Mariners reliever Julio Mateo, who gave up two solo homers while recording only two outs in the seventh against the Toronto Blue Jays (5/30/05)
"They are an NBA team, and it is hard to play those teams."
- Phoenix Suns Head Coach Mike D'Antoni, on the San Antonio Spurs (3/10/05)
"My biggest weakness is my sensitivity. I'm too sensitive."
- Mike Tyson, former heavyweight champion, on his character flaws (3/10/05)
"Satan, take your hands off this team!"
- evangelist Carol Thomas, who led a prayer before a Hornets home game--she pleaded for a victory and blamed supernatural powers for New Orleans' struggles this season (3/2/05)
"I'll take 14 out of 15 any day of the week, any week of the month, any month of the year, any year of the century. I don't know what comes after century."
- Miami Heat's Shaquille O'Neal, on having the teams 14-game winning streak snapped (1/3/05)
"He scares me to death."
- O.J. Simpson, on the talents of Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson (1/3/05)
"If, for example, a player were to go and stand in the center of the court and moon the fans, as far as we're concerned that's not on the court."
- NBA player union director Billy Hunter, arguing that Stern shouldn't have final authority on the Pacer's suspensions because the incident didn't constitute "on-court behavior" (12/9/04)
"The Marlins are committed to South Florida."
- Bruce Rubin, a spokesman for Marlins, after owner Jeffrey Loria met with Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman to discuss relocating the team (12/9/04)
"I told him, cheat on me all you want. If you get caught, I'm going to [sleep with] everybody on your entire team -- coaches, trainers, players. I would do everybody on his whole team."
- Anna Benson, explaining what would happen if husband / Mets' pitcher Kris cheated on her (12/7/04)
"Why would I want to help them win a title?" They're not doing anything for me. I'm at risk.
I have a lot of risk here. I got my family to feed."
- Minnesota Timberwolves' Latrell Sprewell, on his contract negotiations (10/31/04)