Read an Excerpt
Baked Herb Chicken
4 boneless, skinless, chicken breast halves
2 teaspoons olive oil
6 tablespoons white wine
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons crushed dried tarragon
2 teaspoons crushed dried basil
1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
1. Position a rack at the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
2. Pat the chicken dry using paper towels. Place the chicken between a double thickness of waxed paper and using a kitchen mallet, pound to a thickness of 1/4 inch. Brush each chicken breast lightly with olive oil. Place the chicken into a shallow baking pan in a single layer.
3. In a small bowl, combine the wine, lemon juice, tarragon, basil, and red pepper flakes and pour this mixture over the chicken.
4. Turn several times to coat, cover and bake until the chicken is fork tender cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve hot.
Jamaican Jerk Chicken
4 pounds chicken thighs, bone-in
1/2 cup minced scallions
1/4 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon minced ginger root
1 tablespoon minced jalapeno
1 tablespoon fresh lime or lemon juice
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 medium clove garlic, peeled and minced
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
dash of ground cloves
1. In a shallow glass or ceramic baking pan, blend the scallions, orange juice, ginger, jalapeno, lime juice, soy sauce, garlic, allspice, cinnamon, and cloves.
2. Pat the chicken dry using paper towels. Place the chicken into the pan in a single layer and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for about 8 hours.
3. When ready to cook, position the grill rack about 6 inches from the heat source, oil it lightly, prepare a medium-hot charcoal fire or preheat the gas to medium-high heat.
4. Place the chicken on the hot grill and cook, turning occasionally and brushing often with the marinade, until fork tender and cooked through, for about 25 minutes. Remove from the grill, discard any remaining marinade, and serve hot.
Skillet Chicken and Sweet Potatoes
4 to 5 servings
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium (about 3 1/2 pounds) chicken, cut into serving pieces
1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained and liquid reserved
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch slices
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
fresh parsley for garnish
1. In a large skillet set over medium heat, heat the oil and saute the chicken until lightly browned on both sides. Add 1/2 cup pineapple liquid and sweet potatoes, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until the chicken is fork tender, about 30 minutes. Transfer the chicken and potatoes to a serving platter and keep warm.
2. Combine the sugar and cornstarch and stir into the skillet. Add the ginger, remaining pineapple liquid and pineapples and cook until thickened. Spoon over the chicken and potatoes, garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
Excerpted from 2001 Chicken Recipes. Copyright (c) 1999 by Gregg R. Gillespie. Reprinted with permission by BD&L Publishers.