2010 Intravenous Medications: A Handbook for Nurses and Health Professionals / Edition 26by Betty L. Gahart, Adrienne R. Nazareno
Pub. Date: 07/29/2009
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
The #1 IV drug handbook for more than 35 years, you can trust this essential reference for its accuracy and comprehensive coverage. It provides essential data on administering more than 350 intravenous drugs, in a portable size for convenience in any clinical setting. This new edition includes entries for new IV drugs recently approved by the FDA and a wealth of… See more details below
The #1 IV drug handbook for more than 35 years, you can trust this essential reference for its accuracy and comprehensive coverage. It provides essential data on administering more than 350 intravenous drugs, in a portable size for convenience in any clinical setting. This new edition includes entries for new IV drugs recently approved by the FDA and a wealth of new drug facts. An alphabetical organization and indexing by both generic and trade names, along with pharmacologic actions, make it easy to find drug information quickly.
• Comprehensive coverage of each drug includes its generic name (with a phonetic pronunciation guide), common trade name(s), drug category, pH, dosages and dose adjustments, dilution, compatibilities and incompatibilities, rate of administration, actions, indications and uses (including unlabeled uses), contraindications, precautions, drug/lab interactions, side effects, and antidote.
• IV drugs are listed alphabetically by generic name with indexes of drugs by generic name, trade name, and drug category for quick clinical reference.
• Dosing information is displayed on a single page or a two-page spread for easy reference.
• Age-specific dose variances for geriatric, pediatric, infant, and neonatal patients are highlighted in separate, easy-to-find sections.
• Side effects, compatibilities, and incompatibilities are listed in alphabetical order for quick review.
• More than 100 easy-to-read charts detail dosing and dilution guidelines, recommended dose modifications, combination schedules, infusion rates, and more for instant access.
• Extensive cross-referencing within individual drug descriptions ensures all information is readily available.
• The portable size and flexible spiral binding are practical for use in any clinical setting.
• A General Dilution Chart and a Solution Compatibility Chart inside the front and back covers offers fast, easy reference.
• Important IV Therapy Facts and numerous helpful appendices provide quick, valuable guidance on key topics.
• Drugs available only in Canada are identified with a maple leaf icon.
• Also available in PDA format for Palm, PocketPC, Blackberry, and iPhone/iPod Touch.
• Detailed information on new IV drugs recently approved by the FDA ensures you are using the most comprehensive and up-to-date drug information available.
• Hundreds of new and updated drug facts keep you current with the latest dosage adjustments, indications, interactions, compatibilities, side effects, precautions, and disease-specific dosages.
• A new Black Box Warning icon in the Precautions section immediately alerts you to drugs that carry an FDA Black Box Warning.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 6.50(w) x 8.50(h) x 1.60(d)
Table of Contents
General Dilution Charts (Inside front cover and facing page)
How to Use This Book
Evolve Website Information
Format and Content of Intravenous Medications
Key to Abbreviations
Important IV Therapy Facts
IV Drugs, A-Z
A. Recommendations for the Safe Use and Handling of Cytotoxic Drugs
B. FDA Pregnancy Categories
C. Information for Patients Receiving Immunosuppressive Agents
D. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health, National Cancer Institute Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events
E. Recently Approved Drugs
Solution Compatibility Chart (last page and inside back cover)
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >