Read an Excerpt
This is fabulous Italian chicken!
- 4 pounds (1.8 kg) skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1/2 cup (80 g) chopped onion
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 can (15 ounces, or 425 g) black soybeans, drained
- 1 can (141/2 ounces, or 410 g) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon concentrate
In a big, heavy skillet, brown the chicken in the oil over medium-high heat.
Meanwhile, put the onion, peppers, and soybeans in your slow cooker. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables and beans.
In a bowl, stir together the tomatoes, wine, oregano, garlic, and bouillon. Pour the mixture over the chicken. Cover the slow cooker, set it to low, and let it cook for 6 to 7 hours. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Yield: 8 servings, each with: 258 calories, 9 g fat, 31 g protein, 10 g carbohydrate, 5 g dietary fiber, 5 g usable carbs.