A Short Guide to Writing About Literature / Edition 8by Sylvan Barnet, William E. Cain, William E. Cain
Pub. Date: 07/14/1999
Publisher: Longman Publishing Group
Essential reading for every aspiring literary critic, this popular text offers a short course on how to write analytically about stories, plays, poems, and films. The new edition contains expanded checklists of questions readers can ask themselves to generate ideas for writing. See more details below
Essential reading for every aspiring literary critic, this popular text offers a short course on how to write analytically about stories, plays, poems, and films. The new edition contains expanded checklists of questions readers can ask themselves to generate ideas for writing.
- Longman Publishing Group
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 5.52(w) x 8.23(h) x 0.81(d)
Table of Contents
I. JUMPING IN.
1. The Writer as Reader: Reading and Responding.
2. The Reader as Writer: Drafting and Writing.
3. Two Forms of Criticism: Explication and Analysis.
4. Other Kinds of Writing about Literature.
II. STANDING BACK: THINKING CRITICALLY ABOUT LITERATURE.
5. What is Literature?
6. What is Interpretation?
7. What is Evaluation?
8. Writing About Literature: An Overview.
III. UP CLOSE: THINKING CRITICALLY ABOUT LITERARY FORMS.
9. Writing About Fiction: The World of the Story.
10. Writing About Drama.
11. Writing About Poetry.
12. Writing About an Author in Depth.
13. Writing About Film.
IV. INSIDE: STYLE, FORMAT, AND SPECIAL ASSIGNMENTS.
14. Style and Format.
15. Writing a Research Paper.
16. New Approaches to the Research Paper: Literature, History, and the World Wide Web.
17. Essay Examinations.
Appendix A: Two Stories: James Joyce, Araby and Eudora Welty, A Worn Path.
Appendix B: Literary Research: Print and Electronic Resources.
Appendix C: Glossary of Literary Terms.
Index of Authors, Titles, and First Lines of Poems.
Index of Literary Terms.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >