A Slice of Pi: All the Math You Forgot to Remember From Schoolby Liz Strachan, Steven Appleby
In A Slice of Pi, teacher and numbers expert Liz Strachan proves that solving tricky little math equations can be just as enjoyable as completing a good puzzle. Through fascinating math stories, quirky calculations, great party tricks, and humorous anecdotes from the classroom, she reveals the foundations of algebra, geometry, and trigonometry in a clear—and entertaining—style.
These are some of the questions that Stachan answers:
- When is a number irrational?
- What's the chance of winning a lottery jackpot?
- Which famous mathematician who, when informed that his spouse was dying, replied, “Tell my dear wife to hang on a little longer. I’m in the middle of solving a rather difficult problem”?
Whether it’s vulgar fractions or magic squares, Fibonacci rabbits or Fermat’s Last Theorem, this amazing tour of the weird world of numbers—imaginary, real, or infinite—will appeal to anyone with an enquiring mind.
- Constable & Robinson Limited
- Publication date:
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 5.30(w) x 7.10(h) x 0.90(d)
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >