Abnormal Psychology / Edition 6by Thomas F. Oltmanns, Robert E. Emery
Pub. Date: 03/13/2009
Publisher: Prentice Hall
This book uses an engaging and innovative systems approach to integrate biological, psychological, and social perspectives, and explain the causes of abnormal behavior in one concurrent story. Scientific methods are presented in a clear, unique, and non-threatening manner, and are based on the most current research. Detailed case studies open each chapter, and historical background information is included to give readers interesting, 'real-life' examples of abnormal behavior, while illustrating the fact that this book is not about 'them.' It's about all of us. It features hundreds of references, and special focus on the 'allegiance effect' in psychotherapy treatment research. Other coverage includes PTSD and the lasting effects of sexual assaults on women; HIV/AIDS and minorities; findings that trauma and stress lead to improved physical health; autistic disorders; childhood disorders; eating disorders; substance abuse and addiction; controversies about the use of Ritalin in treating ADHD; the improving physical and mental health of the new generation of older adults; and legal issues surrounding abnormal psychology. For individuals interested in the psychology of abnormal behavior.
Table of Contents
2. Causes of Abnormal Behavior: From Paradigms to Systems.
3. Treatment of Psychological Disorders.
4. Classification and Assessment of Abnormal Behavior.
5. Mood Disorders and Suicide.
6. Anxiety Disorders.
7. Acute and Posttraumatic Stress Disorders, Dissociative Disorders, and Somatoform Disorders.
8. Stress and Physical Health.
9. Personality Disorders.
10. Eating Disorders.
11. Substance Use Disorders.
12. Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders.
13. Schizophrenic Disorders.
14. Dementia, Delirium, and Amnestic Disorders.
15. Mental Retardation and Pervasive Developmental Disorders.
16. Psychological Disorders of Childhood.
17. Adjustment Disorders and Life-Cycle Transitions.
18. Mental Health and the Law.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews