Adolescent : Development, Relationships, and Culture / Edition 11by F. Philip Rice, Kim Gale Dolgin, Kim Gale Dolgin, Kim Gale Dolgin
Pub. Date: 07/07/2004
The Adolescent continues to be the most comprehensive book in its subject area, setting the standard for adolescent psychology books since its first publication more than twenty years ago. This book emphasizes the eclectic approach to adolescence, presenting not just one theory on the subject but many, and discussing the contributions, strengths, and weaknesses of each. The authors also take into consideration current and important topics such as ethnic identity formation and gender issues. For anyone in the fields of psychology or education with an interest in adolescents.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 7.90(w) x 9.90(h) x 0.90(d)
Table of Contents
Each chapter concludes with Chapter Summaries, Thought Questions, and Suggested Readings.
1. Adolescents in Social Context.
Our Society in Revolution.
The Computer Revolution.
The Materialistic Revolution.
The Education Revolution.
The Family Revolution.
The Sexual Revolution.
The Violence Revolution.
2. Adolescents in Theoretical Context.
Biological Views of Adolescence.
Psychoanalytical Views of Adolescence.
Psychosocial Views of Adolescence.
Cognitive Views of Adolescence.
Ecological View of Adolescence.
Social-Cognitive Learning View of Adolescence.
Anthropological Views of Adolescence.
3. Adolescents in Ethnic Context.
Adolescents of Low Socioeconomic Status.
African American Adolescents.
Native American Adolescents.
Asian American Adolescents.
Immigrants and Refugees.
4. Sexual Maturation and Physical Growth.
The Endocrine Glands and Hypothalamus.
Maturation and Functions of Male Sex Organs.
Maturation and Functions of Female Sex Organs.
Development of Secondary Sexual Characteristics.
Growth in Height and Weight.
5. The Body Image.
The Body Beautiful.
Early and Late Maturation.
6. Traditional Approaches to Cognitive Development: Piaget and Elkind.
Piaget's Stages of Cognitive Development.
Effects of Adolescent Thought on Personality and Behavior.
Critique of Piaget's Formal Operational Stage.
7. Intelligence, Information Processing, and Decision Making.
8. Self-Concept, Identity, Ethnicity, and Gender.
Self-Concept and Self-Esteem.
9. Sexual Values, Behavior, and Education.
Changing Attitudes and Behavior.
Other Mutual Sexual Behaviors.
Sex and Its Meaning.
Gender Differences in Sexual Ethics.
Contraceptives and Sexually Transmitted Diseases.
Unwed Pregnancy and Abortion.
Sex Knowledge and Sex Education.
10. Adolescent Society, Culture, and Subculture.
Culture and Society.
The Adolescent Subculture.
Material Concerns of Adolescent Culture.
Nonmaterial Aspects of Adolescent Culture.
11. Social Development, Relationships, Dating, Nonmarital Cohabitation, and Marriage.
Group Acceptance and Popularity.
Marriage and Public Schools.
12. The Development of Moral Judgment, Character, Values, Beliefs, and Behavior.
Cognitive-Socialization Theories of Development.
Family Factors and Moral Learning.
Transmission of Religious Beliefs and Practices.
Social Reinforcement, Influences, Values, and Behavior.
13. Adolescents and Their Families.
Relationships with Other Family Members.
14. Divorced, Parent-Absent, and Blended Families.
Divorce and Adolescents.
VII. EDUCATIONAL AND VOCATIONAL.
15. Education and School.
Trends in U.S. Education.
How Adolescents View Their Schools.
The Secondary School Teacher.
Private versus Public Schools.
Achievement and Dropping Out.
Congruence between School and Home.
16. Work and Vocation.
Motives for Choice.
Theories of Vocational Choice.
People Influencing Choice.
Sex Roles and Vocational Choice.
Other Crucial Determinants of Vocational Choice.
Socioeconomic Status and Prestige Factors.
Adolescents and Unemployment.
VIII. PSYCHOSOCIAL PROBLEMS.
17. Adolescent Alienation.
18. Substance Abuse, Addiction, and Dependency.
Tobacco and Smoking.
Alcohol and Excessive Drinking.
- Exam Copy / 0-205-34167-5
- Instructor's Manual and Test Bank / 0-205-34649-9
- Computerized Test Bank (Windows CD-ROM and disk; Mac disk)
- (Sales Support)
- Companion Website
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >