- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
The book clarifies the various roles of the adviser, including teacher, leader, follower, supervisor, and mentor. It reviews mediation and problem solving, discusses communication and learning styles, shows how to build connections with students, understand group development, identify the boundaries between advising and friendship, and maintain relationships with students from every walk of life. Strategies for motivating student leaders, providing academic and career assistance, and tackling budgetary and legal issues are included as well. Reading lists, suggested activities, and case studies are woven throughout the book and offer practical, day-to-day advice that make the advisory role easier and more rewarding.
1. Challenges and Rewards of Advising.
2. Overview of Student Groups and Organizations.
Part Two: Essential Knowledge and Skills.
3. Roles and Functions of Advisers.
4. Understanding Group Dynamics.
5. Providing Academic and Career Assistance.
6. Representing Group and Institutional Interests.
7. Financial Management and Budgeting.
8. Keeping up with Legal Issues.
9. Dealing with Conflicts and Other Problems.
Part Three: Supporting and Improving Practice.
10. Ensuring Quality in Advising.
11. Developing and Increasing Personal Effectiveness.