- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Known for its spectacular coastline and more than 100 miles of bike trails, Cape Cod in Massachusetts is an ideal destination for an activity-packed outdoor vacation. This new book from the Appalachian Mountain Club describes the 50 best hiking, biking, and paddling trips in this beautiful coastal area, including many excursions within the Cape Cod National Seashore. From a short hike around Falmouth’s Long Pond and a scenic bike ride on the Cape Cod Rail Trail to a ...
Known for its spectacular coastline and more than 100 miles of bike trails, Cape Cod in Massachusetts is an ideal destination for an activity-packed outdoor vacation. This new book from the Appalachian Mountain Club describes the 50 best hiking, biking, and paddling trips in this beautiful coastal area, including many excursions within the Cape Cod National Seashore. From a short hike around Falmouth’s Long Pond and a scenic bike ride on the Cape Cod Rail Trail to a walk through Provincetown and a paddling tour of Wellfleet's freshwater pods, this guide leads you to the most unforgettable spots on the Cape. Nature notes and historical essays give visitors a more detailed picture of the area. For short, one-hour excursions, day-long adventures, or weekend afternoons, this guidebook provides the best outdoor experiences for vacationers and residents alike.
Hiking Cape Cod
1. Sandwich—Shawme Crowell State Park.
2. Mashpee/Sandwich—Lowell Holly Reservation.
4. Sandwich/Barnstable—Sandy Neck.
5. Falmouth—Long Pond and Goodwill Park.
6. Falmouth—Beebe Woods and Petersen Farms.
7.Yarmouth—Yarmouth Nature Trail.
8.Dennis—Indian Lands Conservation Area.
9. Brewster—Nickerson State Park.
10. Brewster—Punkhorn Lands.
11. Chatham—Morris Island
12. Orleans—Nauset Beach
13. Eastham—National Seashore visitor center to Coast Guard Beach
16.Wellfleet—headquarters of the Cape Cod National Seashore.
18.Truro—North Pamet Road.
19. Provincetown—The Province Lands area
20. Provincetown—Herring Cove to Wood End Light.
Biking Cape Cod
1. Bourne—Cape Cod Canal (South Side)
2. Sandwich—Shawme-Crowell State Park
3. Falmouth—Shining Sea rail trail to Woods Hole
4. Cotuit — Popponesset Beach, South Beach
6. Dennis/Harwich—Cape Cod Rail Trail
7. Harwich-Cape Cod Rail Trail spur to Chatham
8. Brewster/Orleans—Cape Cod Rail Trail, Nickerson State Park, Nauset Beach
9. Orleans/Eastham—Cape Cod Rail Trail
10. Wellfleet—Oceanside Hollows
11. Truro—Old County Road
12. Truro— National Seashore
13. Provincetown—Herring Cove
Paddling Cape Cod
1. Falmouth/Mashpee —Waquoit Bay, Washburn Island
2. Barnstable—Barnstable Harbor, Scorton Creek
3. Dennis—Swan Pond River
4. Harwich—West Reservoir, Herring River
5.Brewster—Nickerson State Park ponds (Cliff, Little Cliff, Flax)
6. Chatham—Stage Harbor/Mill Pond
7. Chatham—Morris Island, Monomoy Islands
8. Orleans—Little Pleasant Bay
9. Eastham—Nauset Marsh
10. Wellfleet—Wellfleet Harbor, Great Island
11. Wellfleet— Freshwater ponds (Gull, Long, Great)
12. Truro—Pamet River
13. Provincetown—Provincetown Harbor, Long Point.
How The Cape Got Its Name
Waquoit Bay Estuarine Reserve
Nauset Beach and Cape erosion
Fishing and farming
Old Colony railroad
Cape Cod Canal
Bicycle/paddling shops and outfitters
Day ferries to Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket
Conservation and Recreation Organizations
About the AMC