America Firsthand: Volume Two: Readings from Reconstruction to the Present / Edition 7by Robert D. Marcus, David Burner, Anthony Marcus
One of the most widely adopted primary source U.S. history readers, America Firsthand presents history in the words of the people who made it, inviting and provoking students to think critically about the past. The seventh edition continues to bring the past to life with more visual and textual sources that increase diversity, represent current scholarship,/i>… See more details below
One of the most widely adopted primary source U.S. history readers, America Firsthand presents history in the words of the people who made it, inviting and provoking students to think critically about the past. The seventh edition continues to bring the past to life with more visual and textual sources that increase diversity, represent current scholarship, and engage students.
Table of ContentsVOLUME TWO: READINGS FROM THE RECONSTRUCTION TO THE PRESENT PART 1 AFTER THE WAR: NEW SOUTH AND NEW WEST
Points of View: Dilemmas of Reconstruction (1865-1877)
1. African Americans during Reconstruction
Felix Haywood et al.
2. White Southerners' Reactions to Reconstruction
Caleb G. Forshey and Reverend James Sinclair
3. The Murder of Jim Williams
Rosy Williams et al.
4. Vengeance against "Long Hair"
She Walks with Her Shawl and One Bull
5. Work under Sharecropper and Labor Contracts
Grimes Family and Swindell Brothers
6. School Days of an Indian Girl
Zitkala-Sa (Gertrude Simmons Bonnin)
7. Western Migration*
Illustrations from the Popular Press
PART 2 THE GILDED AGE: INDUSTRIAL GROWTH AND CRISIS
Points of View: Industrialism and Progress (1882)
8. The Decline of the Independent Craftsman
Joseph T. Finnerty
9. Workers Prosper as Industry Grows
10. George Rice Loses Out to Standard Oil
11. Honest and Dishonest Graft
George Washington Plunkitt
12. Antilynching Campaign in Tennessee
Ida B. Wells-Barnett
13. The Struggles of an Entrepreneur*
14. The Great Pullman Strike of 1894*
Illustration by G.W. Peters
PART 3 AN AGE OF REFORM: RESPONSES TO INDUSTRIAL AMERICA
Points of View: The Triangle Shirtwaist Fire (1911)
15. Conditions at the Triangle Shirtwaist Company
Pauline Newman et al.
16. A Fire Trap
William Gunn Shepherd
17. A Bintel Brief
18. Conditions at the Slaughterhouse
19. Letters from the Great Migration
Emmett J. Scott et al.
20. The Trial of Kate Richards O'Hare
Kate Richards O'Hare et al.
Visual Portfolio: Urban Industrial America
PART 4 A NEW SOCIETY: BETWEEN THE WARS
Points of View: The Scopes Trial (1925)
21. In Defense of the Bible
William Jennings Bryan and Clarence Darrow
22. Tennessee's Dilemma
Joseph Wood Krutch
23. The Harlem Renaissance
24. My Fight for Birth Control
25. Down and Out in the Great Depression
26. The Sit-Down Strikes
Visual Portfolio: Advertising in the 1920s
PART 5 "THE AMERICAN CENTURY": WAR, AFFLUENCE, AND UNCERTAINTY
Points of View: Building and Using an Atomic Bomb (1942-1945)
27. To Build an Atomic Bomb
J. Robert Oppenheimer
28. To Use an Atomic Bomb*
Paul Tibbets and George Weller
29. Rosie the Riveter
Fanny Christina Hill
30. Memories of the Internment Camp
Ben Yorita and Philip Hayasaka
31. The Bataan Death March
Blair Robinett et al.
32. Blacklist: Post-World War II "Red Scare"*
Ring Lardner Jr.
33. "Mummy, What Happens to Us if the Bomb Drops?*
Civil Defense Poster
PART 6 CONTESTED BOUNDARIES: MORAL DILEMMAS AT HOME AND ABROAD
Points of View: The My Lai Incident (1968-1970)
34. Disbelief and Corroboration
Ronald L. Ridenhour et al.
35. Cover-Up and Outcome
General Westmoreland, President Nixon, et al.
36. Protesting Miss America 1968*
37. Mississippi Freedom Summer
38. An American Hostage in Tehran
39. Border Crossings*
Ramón Pérez, Lupe Marcías, et al.
Visual Portfolio: A Decade of Protest*
PART 7 NEW WORLD ORDER?: ANGRY REALIGNMENTS AFTER THE COLD WAR
Points of View: A Public Debate between Somalis of Lewiston, Maine and their Mayor (2002 –2003)
40. The Letter that Sparked the Debate and Supporters of It*
Mayor Laurier T. Raymond et al.
41. Letters in Support of the Somali Community*
Elders of the Somali Community et al.
42. Daughter of America*
43. Rodney King and the Los Angeles Riots
44. Homophobia in the Heartland
Dennis W. Shepard
45. September 11 and the Aftermath
Kimberly Morales and Amber Amundson
46. The Abu Gharib Prison Abuse Scandal*
* new to this edition
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >