- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
This book brings together studies of Americanization and American imperialism to assess how far the twentieth century can be seen as the "American Century".
List of Contributors.
Part I: Introductions: American Destiny?.
1. Locating the American Century: A World-systems Analysis(Peter J. Taylor).
2. Locating the American Century: Themes for a Post-colonialPerspective (David Slater) .
Part II: Economic Capacities: American Know-how? .
3. Global Shift - the Role of United States TransnationalCorporations (Peter Dicken).
4. The Dynamics of US Managerialism and American Corporations(Michael Taylor).
5. Overseas Investment by US Service Enterprises (P.W.Daniels).
6. The Rise and Decline of US International Monetary Hegemony(Mark Holmes and Eric Pentecost).
7. The 'New' Developmentalism: Political Liberalism and theWashington Consensus (Kate Manzo) .
Part III: Political Capacities: The Arsenal of Democracy?.
8. Inaugurating the American Century: 'New World' Perspectiveson the 'Old' in the Early Twentieth Century (MichaelHeffernan).
9.European Integration and American Power: Reflex, Resistanceand Reconfiguration (Michael Smith).
10. The United States, the 'Triumph of Democracy' and the 'Endof History' (R.J. Johnston).
11. Taking the Cold War to the Third World (Klaus Dodds).
12. US Influence in the Making of the Contemporary AmazonHeartland (Berta K. Becker and Roberto S. Bartholo, Jr).
13. American Power and the Portuguese Empire (JamesSidaway).
14. The Reality of American Idealism (Gillian Youngs).
15. Contradictions of a Lone Superpower (DavidCampbell).
Part IV: Cultural Capacities: The American Dream?.
16. Occult Hollywood: Unfolding the Americanization of WorldCinema (Marcus A. Doel).
17. Global Disney (Alan Bryman).
18. 'The Kind Of Beat Which is Currently Popular': AmericanPopular Music in Britain (Tim Cresswell and Brian Hoskin).
19. American Philanthropy as Cultural Power (Morag Bell).
20. Between North and South: Travelling Feminisms and HomelessWomen (Claudia de Lima Costa).
21. Americanization of the World (Pablo GonzalezCasanova).
Part V: Conclusion: American Centuries?.
22. Multiple Themes, One America; One Theme, Multiple Americas(David Slater and Peter J. Taylor.