American Experiences: Readings in American History, Volume II / Edition 5by Randy Roberts, James S. Olson, James S. Olson, James .. Olson
Pub. Date: 07/06/2001
This collection of secondary readings, written by a variety of authors, emphasizes social history readings that examine important aspects of American history since 1877. American Experiences shows the complexity and richness of the nation's past by focusing on the people themselves-how they coped with, adjusted to, or rebelled against America. Readings that explore popular culture and other high-interest topics help illuminate the social or political landscape at different points in American history. For anyone interested in American history since 1877.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 7.36(w) x 9.25(h) x 0.30(d)
Table of Contents
(All new essays are asterisked below.)
I. RECONSTRUCTION AND THE WEST.
*1. Jennifer Lynn Gross, “'Good Angels': Confederate Widowhood in Virginia” .
*2. Larry McMurtry, “A Road They Did Not Know” .
II. THE GILDED AGE.
3. James W. Clarke, “American Assassin: Charles J. Giteau” .
4. Henry M. Littlefield, “The Wizard of Oz: Parable on Populism” .
5. Kathryn Allamong Jacob, “She Couldn't Have Done It, Even If She Did” .
6. Peter Stevens and Marian Eide, “The First Chapter on Children's Rights” .
III. WAR AND PEACE IN A NEW CENTURY.
7. Robert J. Maddox, “Teddy Roosevelt and the Rough Riders” .
8. Upton Sinclair, “Living and Dying in Packingtown, Chicago” from The Jungle.
9. Bonnie Mitelmen, “Rose Schneiderman and the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire” .
10. Randy Roberts, “Jack Johnson Wins the Heavyweight Championship” .
11. Paul Fussell, “The Trench Scene” .
IV. HEROES AND SOCIETY IN THE 1920S.
*12. Stephen R. Lowe, “Demarbleizing Bobby Jones” .
13. Roderick Nash, “The Mood of the People” .
14. Dean Smith, “The Black Sox Scandal” .
15. Mark Haller, “Organized Crime in Urban Society: Chicago in the Twentieth Century” .
*16. Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr., “The Man of the Century” .
17. Donald Worster, “The Black Blizzards Roll In” .
18. Edward Oxford, “Night of the Martians” .
19. Roger J. Spiller, “My Guns: A Memoir of the Second World War” .
20. Randy Roberts, “John Wayne Goes to War” .
VI. AMERICA IN THE AGE OF ANXIETY: 1945-1960.
21. Ernest Sharpe, Jr., “The Man Who Changed His Face” .
*22. James H. Jones, “Dr. Yes” .
23. Richard S. Tedlow, “Intellect on Television: The Quiz Show Scandals of the 1920s” .
*24. James T. Patterson, “Smoking and Cancer” .
VII. COMING APART: 1960-2000.
25. David Burner and Thomas R. West, “Kennedy Liberalism” .
26. Bradford Wright, “Vietnam in the Comic Books” .
*27. Jon Weiner, “The Beatles' Revolution” .
28. Matthew Dallek, “Liberalism Overthrown” .
29. Randy Roberts and James S. Olson, “Perfect Bodies, Eternal Youth: The Obsession of Modern America” .
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >