The Editors of the American Heritage Dictionaries and Thesauri are trained lexicographers with a varied array of interests and expertise. Most of the editors hold graduate degrees and have studied at least one foreign language. Several have degrees in linguistics or in the history of the English language. Others have degrees in science or sometimes other disciplines. All the editors familiarize themselves with the vocabulary in specific subject areas, collect materials on new developments and usage, and work in association with consultants to ensure that the content of our publications is as accurate and as up-to-date as possible.
American Heritage Thesaurusby Houghton Mifflin Company
From the editors of America’s favorite dictionary comes the definitive reference for meeting today’s challenging communication demands. Remarkably easy to use and completely up-to-date, The American Heritage Thesaurus
Finding the right words has never been easier...with the ultimate source for today's students, writers, readers, and communicators.
From the editors of America’s favorite dictionary comes the definitive reference for meeting today’s challenging communication demands. Remarkably easy to use and completely up-to-date, The American Heritage Thesaurus is an essential resource for finding the perfect word, enhancing your mastery of the English language, and expressing yourself with precision and efficiency. No other thesaurus on the market today offers a more superlative selection of synonyms, concise definitions, easy-to-follow cross-references, and depth of meaning for the modern-day user.
• More than 20,000 main entries and 150,000 synonyms
• A-to-Z dictionary format that eliminates lengthy index and appendix
• Comprehensive list of synonyms grouped by clear definitions—avoids the confusing hodgepodge of obscure and distantly related terms
• Cross-references among closely related entries to insure precision
• Thousands of completely updated slang and informal terms
• Pertinent quotations and examples that convey nuances in meaning among the most basic and important synonyms
An indispensable addition to the American Heritage family of language guides, destined to become a classic, The American Heritage Thesaurus is a book no home, school, or office should be without.
- Random House Publishing Group
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 4.14(w) x 6.86(h) x 1.21(d)
Meet the Author
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >