1. The Role of Clio: How the Past Influences the Present.
PART I: EDUCATION AS INFORMAL EXPERIENCE.
2. Family, Religion, and Education in Colonial America.
3. Early Nationalism and Education.
PART II: THE EARLY YEARS OF FORMALIZED SCHOOLING.
4. The Common School Era.
5. The Little Red One-Room Schoolhouse.
6. Education in the Gilded Age.
PART III: THE EMERGENCE OF MODERN AMERICAN SCHOOLING.
7. The Progressive Education Movement.
8. Universal and Equal Schooling?
9. Schooling, Ideology, and National Policy.
PART IV: ACHIEVING THE PUBLIC SCHOOL IDEAL AND FUTURE CHALLENGES.
10. Civil Rights and Public Schooling.
11. School Reform and Public Reaction.