From Reconstruction to the Present.
1. Beyond Emancipation.
Booker T. Washington and the Atlanta Compromise.
2. The New Industrial Era.
The Rise of Andrew Carnegie.
3. The Birth of Environmentalism.
John Muir and the American Wilderness.
4. Imperial America.
Dewey and Aguinaldo at Manila Bay.
5. New Immigrants.
Russian Jews in the United States.
6. Expanding American Democracy.
The Woman Suffrage Victory.
7. American Volunteers in World War I.
The Lafayette Escadrille.
8. Modernity Versus Tradition.
The Scopes Trial and the American Character.
9. The New Deal.
Eleanor Roosevelt and the Politics of Compassion.
10. Total War.
The Bombing of Hiroshima.
11. The Cold War at Home.
Joseph McCarthy and Anticommunism.
12. The Civil Rights Movement.
Martin Luther King Jr. and the Road to Birmingham.
13. Turmoil on the Campuses.
Berkeley in the Sixties.
14. America and the Cold War.
Colin Powell’s Career from Vietnam to the Persian Gulf
15. The New Age of Technology.
Steve Jobs and Apple