American Religious History / Edition 1by Amanda Porterfield
Pub. Date: 03/06/2002
In this outstanding historical reader, the editor has gathered nine essays and over thirty primary documents to present a coherent picture of the history of American religion. See more details below
In this outstanding historical reader, the editor has gathered nine essays and over thirty primary documents to present a coherent picture of the history of American religion.
- Publication date:
- Wiley Blackwell Readers in American Social and Cultural History Series, #1
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 6.07(w) x 9.04(h) x 0.99(d)
Table of Contents
Series Editor's Preface.
About the Contributors.
Part I: Historical Essays.
1. Errand Into the Wilderness. (Perry Miller).
2. Exchanging Selves, Exchanging Souls: Contact, Combination, and American Religious History. (Catherine L. Albanese).
3. Shouting Methodists. (Ann Taves).
4. Protestantism as Establishment. (William R. Hutchison).
5. American Fundamentalism: The Ideal of Femininity. (Randall Balmer).
6. Catholicism and American Culture: Strategies for Survival. (Jay P. Dolan).
7. Conservative Judaism. (Gerson D. Cohen).
8. "Introduction," The Faces of Buddhism in America. (Charles S. Prebish).
9. Striving for Muslim Women's Human Rights – Before and Beyond Beijing: An African American Perspective. (Gwendolyn Zoharah Simmons).
Part II: Primary Documents.
10. A Model of Christian Charity (1630). (John Winthrop).
11. Examination of Mrs. Anne Hutchinson (1637).
12. A Key into the Language of America (1643). (Roger Williams).
13. Poems (1640–1665). (Anne Bradstreet).
14. The Nature of True Virtue (1765). (Jonathan Edwards).
15. Act for Establishing Religious Freedom (1779). (Thomas Jefferson).
16. The Code of Handsome Lake (Ca.1800). (Edward Cornplanter).
17. What a Revival of Religion Is (1834). (Charles Grandison Finney).
18. The Life and Religious Experience of Jarena Lee (1836). (Jarena Lee).
19. Nature (1836). (Ralph Waldo Emerson).
20. Poems (1863–1864). (Emily Dickinson).
21. The American Republic: Its Constitution, Tendencies, and Destiny (1865). (Orestes Brownson).
22. Our Country's Place in History (1869). (Isaac M. Wise).
23. Pre-Existence of Our Spirits (1872). (Orson Pratt).
24. Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures (1875). (Mary Baker Eddy).
25. A Function of the Social Settlement (1899). (Jane Addams).
26. The Varieties of Religious Experience (1902). (William James).
27. The Scofield Reference Bible (1909).
28. Christianity and Liberalism (1923). (J. Gresham Machen).
29. From Union Square to Rome (1939). (Dorothy Day).
30. The Future of the American Jew (1948). (Mordecai M. Kaplan).
31. "Foreword," The Sacred Pipe (1953). (Black Elk).
32. "Sunflower Sutra" (1955) and "Kaddish" (1958). (Allen Ginsberg).
33. Nonviolence and Racial Justice (1957). (Martin Luther King, Jr.).
34. God's Judgment of White America (1963). (Malcolm X).
35. "Preface," The Protestant Establishment (1964): E. Digby Baltzell.
36. Religious Freedom (1966). ( John Courtney Murray).
37. Beyond God the Father (1973). (Mary Daly).
38. Ceremony (1977). (Leslie Marmon Silko).
39. "American Indian Religious Freedom," Public Law 95–341 (1978).
40. Sexism and God-Talk (1983). (Rosemary Radford Ruether).
41. The Voice of Sarah (1990). (Tamar Frankiel).
42. Thoughts Without a Thinker (1995). (Mark Epstein).
43. Active Faith (1996). (Ralph Reed).
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >