Read an Excerpt
Malibu Beach did not begin its development until 1929, when the Pacific Coast Highway was finally pushed through the Rindge Ranch. After that, Malibu became a fashionable place to have a beach house. The hilly coastland of the West remained basically rural until the 1960s. Increasingly in recent years, the area between the highway and the beach is being filled with numerous large-scale houses. In the 1960s and early 1970s, most of these houses were loosely Modern in imagery, but in recent years historicism (usually grossly misunderstood) ranging from the Medieval to the Spanish Revival has prevailed. The land adjacent to the highway is slowly being condominiumized, with disappointing versions of varied architectural styles. In the early 1990s, Malibu was incorporated as an independent city. It will be interesting to see how it develops its own personality in the years to come.
Malibu continues to acquire houses of distinguished design, but the colony is a private, well-guarded world and is not open to the public.
1. Sagheb House, 1990
32402 Pacific Coast Highway
Since the 1960s, John Lautner has designed a number of houses on the Malibu coast. Most of these are of reinforced concrete in a highly organic (and unusual) form. Unfortunately, these houses are not easy to see from the road, but at low tide, an adventuresome person wandering along the beach can catch an occasional glimpse of them. Other Lautner houses in the Malibu area are the Krause House (1983) at 24444 Malibu Road, and the Segel House (1983) at 22426 Pacific Coast Highway.