An Introduction to Physical Science / Edition 12by James Shipman, Jerry D. Wilson, Aaron Todd
Pub. Date: 12/14/2007
Publisher: Cengage Learning
Concepts to be treated/p>
This text presents a survey of the physical sciences physics, chemistry, astronomy, meteorology, and geology for non-science majors. Topics are treated both descriptively and quantitatively, providing flexibility for instructors who wish to emphasize a highly descriptive approach, a highly quantitative approach, or any spectrum in between.
Concepts to be treated mathematically are consistently introduced from three perspectives. First, the concept is defined in words, as briefly as possible. Second, the definition is presented as an equation in word form. Finally, the concept is expressed in symbol notation.
- New! A new interior design enhances the book's pedagogical features and organizational structure, making the material more accessible to both students and instructors.
- New! End-of-chapter On the Web exercises require students to use Internet resources to explore topics, review concepts, and solve problems.
- New! Supplementary PowerPoint slides containing a wealth of photographs and all the line art from the text enhance classroom instruction.
- New! Chapter 18, The Universe, has been completely revised to incorporate new material.
- Learning Goals provide a focus and framework for each section.
- Spotlight On features use figures, photos, or flowcharts to visually summarize a section or chapter.
- Highlights have been updated to include topics such as nanotechnology, disposal of nuclear waste, the use of hydrogen in transportation, and earthquake risk in the United States.
- Worked-out Examples provide step-by-step solutions. A Confidence Exercise follows these examples, giving students an opportunity for immediate practiceand reinforcement. Answers to Confidence Exercises appear at the end of each chapter.
- End-of-chapter Applying Your Knowledge questions tap into the practical applications of chapter material.
- End-of-chapter review questions contain both multiple-choice and short-answer questions, organized by section.
- All end-of-chapter Exercises are paired. Each odd-numbered exercise has an even-numbered exercise that is similar in content, to provide further practice. Answers for the odd-numbered exercises are provided, allowing instructors to assign the even-numbered ones as homework.
- Relevance Questions appear at the end of most sections. These questions provide real-world applications of the material just covered in the text, allowing students to develop their critical-reasoning skills.
- Important Terms, keyed to chapter sections, are found at the end of each chapter.
- Important equations are listed at the ends of the fifteen chapters in which the equations are used.
- Cengage Learning
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.50(w) x 10.80(h) x 1.20(d)
Table of Contents
Preface. 1. Measurement. 2. Motion. 3. Force and Motion. 4. Work and Energy. 5. Temperature and Heat. 6. Waves and Sound. 7. Optics and Wave Effects. 8. Electricity and Magnetism. 9. Atomic Physics. 10. Nuclear Physics. 11. The Chemical Elements. 12. Chemical Bonding. 13. Chemical Reactions. 14. Organic Chemistry. 15. Place and Time. 16. The Solar System. 17. Moons and Small Solar System Bodies. 18. The Universe. 19. The Atmosphere. 20. Atmospheric Effects. 21. Structural Geology and Plate Tectonics. 22. Minerals, Rocks, and Volcanoes. 23. Surface Processes. 24. Geologic Time. Appendix A. The Seven Base Units of the International System of Units (SI) Appendix B. Solving Mathematical Problems in Science. Appendix C. Equation Rearrangement. Appendix D. Analysis of Units. Appendix E. Positive and Negative Numbers. Appendix F. Powers-of-10 Notation. Appendix G. Significant Figures. Appendix H. Psychrometric Tables (pressure: 30 in. of Hg). Appendix I. Seasonal Star Charts. Answers to Confidence Exercises. Answers to Selected Questions. Glossary. Index.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >