Analyzing the Social Webby Jennifer Golbeck
Pub. Date: 03/29/2013
Publisher: Elsevier Science
Analyzing the Social Web provides a framework for the analysis of public data currently available and being generated by social networks and social media, like Facebook, Twitter, and Foursquare. Access and analysis of this public data about people and their connections to one another allows for new applications of traditional social network analysis/i>
Analyzing the Social Web provides a framework for the analysis of public data currently available and being generated by social networks and social media, like Facebook, Twitter, and Foursquare. Access and analysis of this public data about people and their connections to one another allows for new applications of traditional social network analysis techniques that let us identify things like who are the most important or influential people in a network, how things will spread through the network, and the nature of peoples' relationships. Analyzing the Social Web introduces you to these techniques, shows you their application to many different types of social media, and discusses how social media can be used as a tool for interacting with the online public.
- Presents interactive social applications on the web, and the types of analysis thatare currently conducted in the study of social media.
- Covers the basics of network structures for beginners, including measuring methods for describing nodes, edges, and parts of the network.
- Discusses the major categories of social media applications or phenomena and shows how the techniques presented can be applied to analyze and understand the underlying data.
- Provides an introduction to information visualization, particularly network visualization techniques, and methods for using them to identify interesting features in a network, generate hypotheses for analysis, and recognize patterns of behavior.
- Includes a supporting website with lecture slides, exercises, and downloadable social network data sets that can be used can be used to apply the techniques presented in the book.
- Elsevier Science
- Publication date:
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.40(w) x 9.10(h) x 0.80(d)
Table of Contents
Analyzing the Social Web
Nodes, Edges, and Network Measures
Network Structure and Measures
Understanding Structure Through User Attributes and Behavior
Propagation in Networks
Location-Based Social Interaction
Social Information Filtering
Social Media in the Public Sector
Business Use of Social Media
Case Study: Social Network Strategies for Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >