- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
William W. HalloWhat other books do for the Bible as literature, this book does for the Bible as history.
— Archaeology Odyssey
Immensely readable and digestible in just a few sittings, this book examines the complete history of ancient Israel—from Abraham to the Roman destruction of the Second Temple in 70 A.D.
Offers highest-quality authorship from respected leaders in their fields. Provides numerous color and black-and-white photos, maps, charts, and timelines. Gives a broader sweep of history, starting at an earlier point and/or ending at a later point than other books on the subject. Adds and updates evidence, analysis, and insights of events, based on developments since the book's first edition.
Perfect for adult study groups and Bible groups, and anyone who wants to learn more about Israel's history or needs a refresher course.
1. The Patriarchal Age: Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. P. Kyle McCarter, Jr., revised by Ronald S. Hendel.
2. Israel in Egypt: The Egyptian Sojourn and the Exodus. Nahum M. Sarna, revised by Hershel Shanks.
3. The Settlement in Canaan: The Period of the Judges. Joseph A. Callaway, revised by J. Maxwell Miller.
4. The United Monarchy: Saul, David and Solomon. Written and revised by André Lemaire.
5. The Divided Monarchy: The Kingdoms of Judah and Israel. Siegfried H. Horn, revised by P. Kyle McCarter, Jr.
6. Exile and Return: From the Babylonian Destruction to the Reconstruction of the Jewish State. James D. Purvis, revised by Eric M. Meyers.
7. The Age of Hellenism: Alexander the Great and the Fall of the Hasmonean Kingdom. Written and revised by Lee I. Levine.
8. Roman Domination: The Jewish Revolt and the Destruction of the Second Temple. Shaye J.D. Cohen, revised by Michael Satlow.