Animal Restraint for Veterinary Professionals / Edition 1by C. C. Sheldon, Teresa F. Sonsthagen, James Topel
Pub. Date: 04/21/2006
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
Learn effective animal handling and restraint techniques! Animal Restraint for Veterinary Professionals, 2nd Edition describes each procedure with two to eight photos showing the exact steps needed to achieve safe restraint. A chapter is devoted to each domestic animal species, including cats, dogs, cattle, horses, sheep, goats, pigs, rabbits, rodents,/b>
Learn effective animal handling and restraint techniques! Animal Restraint for Veterinary Professionals, 2nd Edition describes each procedure with two to eight photos showing the exact steps needed to achieve safe restraint. A chapter is devoted to each domestic animal species, including cats, dogs, cattle, horses, sheep, goats, pigs, rabbits, rodents, ferrets, and birds. New to this edition are updated photographs showing the latest and greatest restraint procedures for all types of animals. Written by expert veterinary technician educators C.C. Sheldon, Teresa Sonsthagen, and James Topel, this practical guide also includes a chapter on knot tying!
• Step-by-step guidelines make it easy to understand safe, proper restraint procedures.
• Over 500 full-color photographs illustrate restraint procedures.
• A clear, non-technical writing style along with descriptive photographs simplifies animal restraint concepts.
• Comprehensive coverage in each chapter includes normal and abnormal behavior characteristics, precautions, special handling, restraint devices, and descriptions of medical procedures - such as venipuncture - for which special restraint procedures are necessary.
• Restraint Principles chapter summarizes the considerations for restraint, animal safety, circumstances for restraint, the effect of restraint on animals, and complications.
• Knot Tying chapter presents basic types of knots that may be used to safely restrain larger animals.
• UPDATED chapters include behavioral observations describing what to look for in the animal being restrained.
• NEW full-color photographs accompany new restraint procedures for various species.
• NEW! Alternative restraint techniques are added, accompanied by step-by-step photos.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 8.50(w) x 10.80(h) x 0.50(d)
Table of Contents
1. Restraint Principles
2. Knot Tying
3. Restraint of Cats
4. Restraint of Dogs
5. Restraint of Cattle
6. Restraint of Horses
7. Restraint of Sheep
8. Restraint of Goats
9. Restraint of Swine
10. Restraint of Rodents, Rabbits and Ferrets
11. Restraint of Birds
Appendix 1: Gender Names
Appendix 2: Physiologic Data
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >
While animal restraint is a very unpredictable situation, this book outlines the basic methods that will lead toward keeping everyone involved as safe as possible. Animal restraint is not something you can learn by reading, and therefore this book uses numerous photos to guide you. It is evident that the reader's safety while restraining is clearly the top priority.