This volume of public press readings is intended to address the need for a regular,annually published anthology that offers samples from the most recent journal literature in which the knowledge bases for multicultural education are developed. This collection will be useful in courses in multicultural education at the undergraduate and graduate levels. It will add considerable substance to the sociocultural foundation of education,educational policy studies,and leadership,as well as to coursework in other areas of preservice and inservice teacher education programs.
UNIT 1. The Social Contexts of Multicultural Education
1. Americanization and the Schools, E. D. Hirsch Jr., The Clearing House, January/February 1999.
2. "Celebrating Diversity vs. Preparing for the Mainstream"? Should We Consider Another Choice?, Gary K. Clabaugh, Educational Horizons, Spring 1998.
3. Celebrating Diversity vs. Preparing for the Mainstream: A Pseudo-Controversy?, Edward G. Rozycki, Educational Horizons, Spring 1998.
4. The Violence That Creates School Dropouts, Christine Clark, Multicultural Education, Fall 1998.
5. Paying Attention to Our Children: Educational Dilemmas for Americans, Patricia Albjerg Graham, Current, May 1998.
UNIT 2. Teacher Education in Multicultural Perspective
6. Prospective Teachers' Attitudes toward Urban Schools: Can They Be Changed?, Terrence C. Mason, Multicultural Education, Summer 1999.
7. Predictors of Success in Urban Teaching: Analyzing Two Paradoxical Cases, Terrence C. Mason, Multicultural Education, Spring 1999.