This annually updated reader is a compilation of interesting articles selected from magazines,newspapers,and journals dealing with educational issues,such as striving for excellence; managing life in classrooms,cultural diversity and schooling and serving special needs and concerns.
UNIT 1. How Others See Us and How We See Ourselves
1. The Ninth Bracey Report on the Condition of Public Education, Gerald W. Bracey, Phi Delta Kappan, October 1999.
2. When Strangers Become Family, Wray Herbert, U.S. News & World Report, November 29, 1999.
3. The 32nd Annual Phi Delta Kappa/Gallup Poll of the Public Attitudes Toward the Public Schools, Lowell C. Rose and Alec M. Gallup, Phi Delta Kappan, September 2000.
UNIT 2. Rethinking and Changing the Educative Effort
4. The Three Stories of Education Reform, Michael Fullan, Phi Delta Kappan, April 2000.
5. Broken Promises, Tom Loveless and Diane Ravitch, Brookings Review, Spring 2000.
6. Becoming Good American Schools: The Struggle for Civic Virtue in Education Reform, Jeannie Oakes, Karen Hunter Quartz, Steve Ryan, and Martin Lipton, Phi Delta Kappan, April 2000.