- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Revised and updated, the third edition of this innovative reference presents the fundamental principles of pharmacology, administration of drugs, and pharmacologic calculations. It addresses all major categories of drugs in a consistent format, including pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, clinical uses, dosage forms, and adverse side effects. Illustrated, step-by-step procedures demonstrate the administration of common drug forms.
• The consistent format provides easy and quick access to information. Each chapter is introduced with learning objectives, a chapter outline, and key terms with simple definitions.
• Chapters are arranged to cover organ systems in a sequential manner, followed by chapters on antiinfectives, antiparasitics, antiinflammatory agents, and others.
• Content includes detailed summaries of important drug laws, such as the Animal Medicinal Drug Use Clarification Act (AMDUCA) and the Animal Drug Availability Act.
• Technician Notes throughout the text provide helpful hints and important points technicians should be aware of to avoid errors and increase efficiency.
• Drug descriptions use a consistent format — clinical uses, dosage forms, and adverse side effects — that allows easy access to desired information.
• Dosage calculations help readers administer drugs appropriately.
• Outstanding photographs, tables, and illustrations supplement the text and summarize complex information.
• Appendixes offer up-to-date references to emergency drugs, controlled substances, conversion tables, vaccinations, and other useful data.
• A new chapter has been added on the importance of inventory control for the veterinary technician.
• New sections are devoted to inhalation anesthetics, neuromuscular blocking drugs, inhalation therapy for respiratory disease, and parenteral nutrition.
• Expanded information is included on key drug laws — including a new list of drugs prohibited for extralabel use under the Animal Medicinal Use Clarification Act and a summary of the Minor Use and Minor Species Animal Health Act.
• Additional Technician's Notes provide assistance with important procedures.
• Additional review questions are offered in each chapter.
1. General Pharmacology
2. Routes and Techniques of Drug Administration
3. Practical Calculations in Pharmacology
4. Drugs Affecting the Nervous System
5. Respiratory Drugs
6. Renal and Urinary Tract Drugs
7. Cardiovascular Drugs
8. Gastrointestinal Drugs
9. Hormonal, Endocrine, and Reproductive Drugs
10. Ophthalmic and Otic Drugs
11. Drugs Affecting the Skin
12. Anti-Infective Drugs
13. Antiparasitic Drugs
14. Drugs Used to Relieve Pain and Inflammation
15. Therapeutic Nutritional, Fluid, and Electrolyte Replacements
16. Blood-Modifying, Antineoplastic, and Immunosuppressant Drugs
17. Immunologic Drugs
18. Miscellaneous Therapeutic Agents
19. Inventory: The Veterinary Technician's Role Appendix A: Common Abbreviations Used in Veterinary Medicine Appendix B: Weights and Measures Appendix C: Emergency Drugs Appendix D: Controlled Substances Information Summary Appendix E: Vaccines by Species Appendix F: Conversion of Body Weight in Kilograms to Body Surface Area in Meters for Dogs