Thomas Wentworth Higginson (1823-1911) was an American abolitionist, Civil War veteran, Unitarian minister, and writer who commanded the First South Carolina Volunteers during the Civil War. Born in Massachusetts, Higginson graduated from divinity school but became increasingly associated with radical abolitionism in the 1850s. He was one of the secret supporters of John Brown, procuring aid for the failed raid on Harper's Ferry in 1859. When the Civil War broke out, Higginson served as a captain in the 51st Massachusetts Infantry and as colonel of the First South Carolina Volunteers from 1862-1864. He devoted his postwar years to writing and as an advocate for the rights of former slaves, women, and other disadvantaged people.
Army Life in a Black Regiment: The Story of the First South Carolina Volunteersby Thomas Wentworth Higginson
- LendMe LendMe™ Learn More
ARMY LIFE IN A BLACK REGIMENT is an authoritative account of the First South Carolina Volunteers, the first slave regiment mustered into the service of the United States during the Civil War. The First South Carolina Volunteers was composed of escaped slaves from South Carolina and Florida and commanded by white officers, including Colonel Thomas Wentworth Higginson, who wrote their history and recorded their beliefs and customs, including use of the Gullah language.
This edition includes an active table of contents for easy navigation.
• CHAPTER 1 Introductory
• CHAPTER 2 Camp Diary
• CHAPTER 3 Up the St. Mary's
• CHAPTER 4 Up the St. John's
• CHAPTER 5 Out on Picket
• CHAPTER 6 A Night in the Water
• CHAPTER 7 Up the Edisto
• CHAPTER 8 The Baby of the Regiment
• CHAPTER 9 Negro Spirituals
• CHAPTER 10 Life at Camp Shaw
• CHAPTER 11 Florida Again?
• CHAPTER 12 The Negro as a Soldier
• CHAPTER 13 Conclusion
• Appendix A. Roster of Officers
• Appendix B. The First Black Soldiers
• Appendix C. General Saxton's Instructions
• Appendix D. The Struggle for Pay
• Appendix E. Farewell Address
Meet the Author
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >