Arts and Culture: An Introduction to the Humanities, Combined Volume / Edition 2by Janetta Benton, Robert DiYanni
Pub. Date: 07/19/2004
This book offers an integrated exploration of Western civilization's cultural heritage. Readers move chronologically through major periods and styles to gain insight into the achievements and ideas in painting, sculpture, architecture, literature, philosophy, religion, and music. The book provides a historical (political, economic, and social) framework to contextualize these achievements within a specific time and place, from prehistoric culture to 20th-Century America. The Dawn of Culture; Ancient Egypt; Aegean Culture and the Rise of Ancient Greece; Classical and Hellenistic Greece; The Roman World; Judaism and the Rise of Christianity; Byzantine & Islamic Civilizations; Indian Civilization; Early Chinese & Japanese Civilizations; The Civilizations of the Americas; The Early Middle Ages and the Romanesque; The Gothic and Late Middle Ages; The Renaissance and Mannerism in Italy; The Renaissance in the North; The Baroque Age; The Eighteenth Century; Romanticism and Realism; The Belle Époque; Chinese and Japanese Civilizations; Russian Civilization; The Age of Anxiety; Modern Africa and Latin America; The Age of Affluence; The Diversity of Contemporary Life. For anyone interested in the Arts and Culture.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.40(w) x 10.80(h) x 1.20(d)
Table of Contents
(NOTE: Volume I consists of Chs. 1-12; Volume II consists of Chs. 13-24; the Combined Volume consists of Chs. 1-24.)
1. The Dawn of Culture.
2. Ancient Egypt.
3. Aegean Culture and the Rise of Ancient Greece.
4. Classical and Hellenistic Greece.
5. The Roman World.
6. Judaism and the Rise of Christianity.
7. Byzantine & Islamic Civilizations.
8. Indian Civilization.
9. Early Chinese & Japanese Civilizations.
10. The Civilizations of the Americas.
11. The Early Middle Ages and the Romanesque.
12. The Gothic and Late Middle Ages.
13. The Renaissance and Mannerism in Italy.
14. The Renaissance in the North.
15. The Baroque Age.
16. The Eighteenth Century.
17. Romanticism and Realism.
18. The Belle Époque.
19. Chinese and Japanese Civilizations.
20. Russian Civilization.
21. The Age of Anxiety.
22. Modern Africa and Latin America.
23. The Age of Affluence.
24. The Diversity of Contemporary Life.
Picture Credits and Further Information.
Literature and Music Credits.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >