Atari Inc. - Business Is Funby Martin Goldberg, Curt Vendel
The true story behind the company and brand that was synonymous with ‘video games’ in the 1970s and 80s, told by the people who were there making history. Dominating both the arcade and home – and fueled by the public’s ‘obsession’ with technology, Atari pioneered high tech fun for a new generation. The ripple effect of Atari&… See more details below
- Checkmark NOOK Press Shop Now
- LendMe LendMe™ Learn More
The true story behind the company and brand that was synonymous with ‘video games’ in the 1970s and 80s, told by the people who were there making history. Dominating both the arcade and home – and fueled by the public’s ‘obsession’ with technology, Atari pioneered high tech fun for a new generation. The ripple effect of Atari’s influence in technology and pop culture has resonated throughout the decades, and into the 21st Century..'
Nearly 8 years in the making,Goldberg and Vendel’s goal was to create a lasting tribute to the unsung heroes who created the Atari legacy. But through the course of their interviews and painstaking research, they wound up having just as much fun compiling the history as the people who lived the history did. Atari Inc. - Business is Fun is comprised of thousands of researched documents, hundreds of interviews, and access to materials never before available.
An amazing 800 pages, including nearly 300 pages of rare, never before seen photos, memos and court documents, this book details Atari's genesis from an idea between an engineer and a visionary in 1969 to a nearly $2 billion dollar juggernaut, and ending with a $538 million death spiral by June of 1984. Several key and important fully detailed side stories are included, such as:
* The creation of "Rick Rats Big Cheese Restaurants" which later became "Chuck E. Cheese's"
* The amazing story of Atari's very own "Xerox PARC" research facility up in the foothills of the Sierra Mountains
* The full recounting of Steve Jobs' time at Atari, with comments from the people he worked with on projects and the detailed story of the creation of Atari Breakout. Including input by Steve Wozniak on his development of the Breakout prototype, as well as for the first time the reason why it couldn't be used - leading to another Atari engineer being put on the project to make the production version.
* The real story behind the infamous dumping in Alamogordo, New Mexico that became known as a dump for the infamous E.T. in myth.
* The dramatic dealings and double-dealings between Atari Inc. and Amiga Corp. for months prior to Jack Tramiel coming into the picture.
* What actually brought Atari Inc. down.
If you've ever wanted to learn about the truth behind the creation of this iconic company directly told by the people who made FUN for a living, then this is the book for you.
- Syzygy Press
- Publication date:
- Sold by:
- Barnes & Noble
- NOOK Book
- Sales rank:
- File size:
- 38 MB
- This product may take a few minutes to download.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >