- Cantata No. 147, "Herz und Mund und Tat und Leben," BWV 147 (BC A174): Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring
- Orchestral Suite No. 3 in D major, BWV 1068: Air
- Concerto for oboe, strings & continuo in D minor (reconstruction), BWV 1059R: Sicilliano
- Orchestral Suite No. 3 in D major, BWV 1068: Bourrée 1 & 2
- Sonata for flute & keyboard in E flat major, BWV 1031: Siciliano
- Sonata for flute & keyboard in E flat major, BWV 1031: Allegro moderato
- Brandenburg Concerto No. 6 in B flat major, BWV 1051: Adagio, ma non tanto
- Sonata for violin & keyboard in G minor, H. 542.5 (also attributed to J.S. Bach as BWV 1020): Allegro
- Sonata for violin & keyboard in G minor, H. 542.5 (also attributed to J.S. Bach as BWV 1020): Adagio
- Weihnachtsoratorium (Christmas Oratorio), in six parts, BWV 248 (BC D7): Sinfonia
- Orchestral Suite No. 1 in C major, BWV 1066: Forlane
- Sonata for flute & keyboard in C major, BWV 1033: Andante - Presto
- Sonata for flute & keyboard in C major, BWV 1033: Menuetto 1 & 2
- English Suite, for keyboard No. 3 in G minor, BWV 808 (BC L15): Allemande
- Brandenburg Concerto No. 2 in F major, BWV 1047: Andante
- French Suite, for keyboard No. 4 in E flat major, BWV 815 (BC L22): Gavotte en rondeau
- Concerto for harpsichord, strings & continuo No. 1 in D minor, BWV 1052: Adagio
- Concerto for oboe d'amore, strings & continuo in A major (reconstruction), BWV 1055R: Allegro moderato
Bach for Breakfast: The Leisurely Way to Start Your Dayby Neville Marriner
Released in 1995, Bach for Breakfast is part of an affordable line of Philips compilations designed to introduce classical music as background listening for the day's activities. At first blush, the album appears to be a routine greatest-hits collection, for many of Bach's most popular pieces are represented here. However, the program also includes a few movements from larger works, which, while well-known, are not over-anthologized or excessively played. Certainly, the famous "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" and the Air on the G string need no introduction, and the majority of tracks will ring a bell with many casual classical listeners, including movements from the "Brandenburg Concertos" and the "Christmas Oratorio," as well as various concertos and suites. What may surprise, though, is the inclusion of arrangements, for as familiar as the music may be, the instrumentation is in many cases fresh and a welcome change from the expected. One seldom hears Bach on the harp or the panpipes, for example, yet the adaptation is well-suited to Bach, who regularly recycled his pieces for different instruments. On the whole, this is a bright and cheerful album that will give a pleasant start to the day, and the evenly balanced volume levels make it suitable for home listening.
- Release Date:
Performance CreditsNeville Marriner Primary Artist
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews
Bach for Breakfast is the perfect way to wake up and start my day gently.
This is absolutely one of my favorate albums that I own. When I was younger my mom used to play it for my brother and I in the mornings and now that I'm away a college (and have learned to appreciate classical music a little more) it's very comforting. It also makes a great compainion to studying or reading or just about anything!
When I first heard this album I was so touched by the mood...the sound...the warmth..the joy...the rhapsody...and the feeling of it all. This album surely does shine the first shed of light in the wee small hours of the morning.