Becoming a Forgiving Person: A Pastoral Perspectiveby Richard L Dayringer, Henry Close
Pub. Date: 04/23/2004
Publisher: Taylor & Francis
Charting different paths through feelings of betrayal, oppression, and humiliation, this compassionate book will help you understand forgiveness -- and find it within yourself. The poignant stories in Becoming a Forgiving Person show how anyone can manage feelings of victimization and quench the lust for vengeance. Through this book's unique combination of psychological and religious insight, you'll gain an understanding of the dynamics of being hurt, the inner struggles needed to truly forgive, and methods and skills for practicing forgiveness.
- Taylor & Francis
- Publication date:
- Product dimensions:
- 6.00(w) x 8.60(h) x 0.70(d)
Table of Contents
- Part I: IntroductionWhy I Am Interested in Forgiveness
- Chapter 1. The Dilemma: How Could I Forgive a Friend Who Betrayed Me?
- Part II: OffensesThe Ways in Which We Are Hurt
- Chapter 2. Offenses Against Freedom: My Choices Are Limited
- Chapter 3. Offenses Against Self-Esteem: I Feel Humiliated
- Chapter 4. Offenses Against Intimacy: I Have Been Betrayed
- PART III: TRYING TO TAKE CHARGEWHAT CONSTITUTES FORGIVENESS
- Chapter 5. What About Revenge?
- Chapter 6. Is an Apology Necessary?
- Chapter 7. Questions
- PART IV: LAYING THE FOUNDATIONS
- Chapter 8. How I Create My Inner World
- Chapter 9. One Example: Terry Dobson’s Story
- Chapter 10. The Many Facets of Who I Am
- Chapter 11. One Example: Simon Wiesenthal’s Story
- PART V: MAKING IT HAPPEN
- Chapter 12. Forgiving Offenses Against Freedom
- Chapter 13. Forgiving Offenses Against Self-Esteem
- Chapter 14. Forgiving Offenses Against Intimacy
- PART VI: CONCLUSIONS
- Chapter 15. Pulling It All Together
- Chapter 16. Is Reconciliation Necessary?
- Chapter 17. Forgiving Myself: Forgiving the Person I Used to Be
- Chapter 18. Painting Lessons
- Appendix A: Handling the Accusation of Incest
- Appendix B: Kinds of Offenses
- Bibliography Essay
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >