Curtis "Ovid" Poe has specialized in Perl since 2000. He is an author, a regular guest speaker at conferences across Europe and the United States, and he wrote the test harness that currently ships with the Perl language.
Beginning Perlby Curtis 'Ovid' Poe
Everything beginners need to start programming with Perl Perl is the ever-popular, flexible, open source programming language that has been called the programmer's Swiss army knife. This book introduces Perl to both new programmers and experienced ones who are looking to learn a new language. In the tradition of the popular Wrox Beginning guides, it presents the… See more details below
Everything beginners need to start programming with Perl Perl is the ever-popular, flexible, open source programming language that has been called the programmer's Swiss army knife. This book introduces Perl to both new programmers and experienced ones who are looking to learn a new language. In the tradition of the popular Wrox Beginning guides, it presents the newest features, real-world examples, and everything necessary for a novice to start programming with confidence.
• Perl is a flexible, open source programming language that sports great new features in the current release
• Introduces Perl to both new programmers and experienced ones who want to learn a new language
• Features an introduction to programming and provides real-world applications for today's workplace
• Covers text and data types; working with numbers; operators and functions; variables, lists, and hashes; loops and subroutines; managing input and output; object-oriented programming; testing and debugging; Perl on the Web; and more Beginning Perl gives new programmers the information and instruction they need to confidently start programming with Perl.
- Publication date:
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.40(w) x 9.20(h) x 1.40(d)
Meet the Author
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >
I bought this book more for review purposes, to get my skills in Perl back to what they should be, so that I could take them further. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the author covered more detail than expected when he wrote this book. His examples and the way he explains things makes understanding each topic all that much easier. I am still reading the book, but I have learned more little obscure things that other Perl books designed for beginners just don't cover. The author has done a fantastic job of giving you a very solid grounding in the Perl language so that you can take the knowledge he has shared and go further. His coverage of modern Perl topics, as well as great in-depth coverage of "must-learn" areas, makes this the new must have book in everyone's Perl bookshelf. If you have no other book in your library, you need to have this one. Without a doubt, this is the new bible for the Perl language.