Read an Excerpt
Fish and Chips
I first tasted this classic fried fish and french fry combination on my first trip to England, where it was served in a brown paper cone, sprinkled with malt vinegar. You can use a variety of fish, such as halibut, striped bass, perch, catfish, or orange roughy, instead of the cod While it is possible to use frozen french fries, this dish of fish and chips warrants making freshly made french fried potatoes. When frying fish and potatoes, the oil should always be at 375°F.
Makes 4 servings
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon pepper
6 ounces flat beer
1 1/2 pounds cod or halibut fillets, cut 3/4 to 1 inch thick
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons grated onion
Oil for frying
4 medium baking potatoes (6 ounces each), about 4 inches long
Malt vinegar or lemon wedges
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt, paprika, and pepper. Remove 1/2 cup
- of the seasoned flour and place on a sheet of wax paper.
- Whisk the beer into the seasoned flour in the bowl and let stand at room temperature 1 hour, The batter will be thin.
- Cut the fish into 3/4-inch-wide pieces. In a shallow dish large enough to hold the fish in a single layer, combine the lemon juice with the onion. Place the fish sticks in the lemon mixture and turn to coat. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Pour 1 1/2 inches of oil into a deep fryer. Heat to 375°F.
- While the oil is heating, peel the potatoes and cut into 1/4-inch sticks. Pat the potatoes with paper towels until thoroughly dry. Place one-third of the potatoes in the fryerbasket and gradually lower into the hot oil. The oil will bubble up slightly, so be careful. Fry the potatoes until just tender but not brown, about 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels. The potatoes should yield slightly when pressed with your finger. Repeat with the remaining potatoes.
- Dredge the fish in the reserved seasoned flour. Coat I piece of fish at a time with the beer batter. Lift the fish out of the batter with tongs or a slotted metal spoon; let the excess batter drip back into the bowl. if the batter is sliding off the fish, whisk in an additional tablespoon of flour. Place the fish in the hot oil and fry, 4 pieces at a time, until lightly golden, about 2 minutes. Shake the fryer basket at the beginning of the frying time to prevent the fish from sticking to the basket. Drain on paper towels. Keep warm while frying the remaining fish.
- Return half of the potatoes to the hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Keep warm while frying the remaining potatoes. Serve the fish and chips drizzled with malt vinegar or lemon wedges to squeeze over.
Baking Powder Pastry
Makes enough pastry for 16 fried apple pies
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut up
6 tablespoons ice water
In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or 2 knives until the mixture resembles cornmeal. Sprinkle the pastry with the ice water. Stir with a fork until moistened. Gather the pastry into a ball.The Best Fryer Cookbook Ever. Copyright © by Phyllis Kohn. Reprinted by permission of HarperCollins Publishers, Inc. All rights reserved. Available now wherever books are sold.