Best Golf Course Management Practices / Edition 1by L. B. McCarty
Pub. Date: 06/12/2000
Publisher: Prentice Hall
Within these covers, the author and twenty-seven acclaimed contributors share their expertise in areas ranging from turfgrass to environmental science. The most current and comprehensive publication on the market, Best Golf Course Management Practices provides the following need-to-know information that leads to successful golf course construction and/i>
Within these covers, the author and twenty-seven acclaimed contributors share their expertise in areas ranging from turfgrass to environmental science. The most current and comprehensive publication on the market, Best Golf Course Management Practices provides the following need-to-know information that leads to successful golf course construction and maintenance:
- Turfgrass plants, their adaptation, physiology and growth and development characteristics are described in laymen's terms, including environmental and management practices which most influence growth and development, as well as survival. Current available varieties, their characteristics and possible alternatives are listed, providing an excellent "study guide" of explanations and limitations of various grasses.
- The interaction of agronomic practices, pest occurrence, Integrated Pest Management (IPM) strategies and techniques, and control options are listed and discussed. Included are the major insects, diseases, nematodes and weeds affecting golf courses. Additionally, the text provides pesticide management and handling practices. Many courses are required to develop environmental strategies, and this book will prove a valuable resource.
- In-depth discussions on the various means of designing and constructing golf courses, including greens, according to available supplies, player demands and budgets. A general sequence of construction events outline those steps necessary to plan, permit and actually construct a golf course.
- Prentice Hall
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.40(w) x 11.18(h) x 1.26(d)
Table of Contents
I. BEST TURFGRASSES FOR GOLF COURSES.
2. Plant Growth and Development.
II. BEST SOIL MANAGEMENT PRACTICES.
4. Soil Mineral Properties.
5. Soil Oxygen and Temperature Properties.
6. Soil Organisms.
III. BEST GOLF COURSE CONSTRUCTION AND ESTABLISHMENT PRACTICES.
8. Putting Green Construction.
9. Turfgrass Establishment and “Grow-In.”
IV. BEST TURFGRASS FERTILIZATION PRACTICES.
11. Developing Turf Fertilizer Programs.
12. Fertilizer Calculations.
V. BEST GOLF COURSE IRRIGATION PRACTICES.
14. Irrigation Water Quality.
15. Effluent Wastewater Use on Turf.
VI. BEST TURFGRASS MANAGEMENT PRACTICES.
17. Management Practices Affecting Putting Speed.
19. Managing Bentgrass Golf Greens.
20. Managing Bermudagrass Golf Greens.
VII. BEST MANAGEMENT AND CONTROL PRACTICES.
23. Turfgrass Insects.
24. Turfgrass Nematodes.
25. Turfgrass Weeds.
26. Turfgrass Plant Growth Retardants.
27. Activated Charcoal for Pesticide Deactivation.
VIII. BEST PESTICIDE NUTRIENT MANAGEMENT AND HANDLING.
29. Best Golf Course Environmental Protection Strategies.
30. Sprayer and Spreader Calibration.
Appendix A: Stoke's Velocity Equation for Falling Particles and Darcy's Equation for Calculating Hydraulic Conductivity.
Appendix B: Calculating Soil Porosity.
Appendix C: Calibration Formulas and Metric Conversion Tables.
References and Additional Reading.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >