Read an Excerpt
/Mother Pellman's Chocolate Cake
Makes 1 layer or 1 long cake
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil or margarine
1/2 cup sour milk or buttermilk
3 heaping Tbsp. cocoa (scant 1/2 cup)
1 cup boiling water
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla/
1. Cream the sugar and shortening together until lemon-colored. Then beat in eggs and sour milk or buttermilk.
2. Pour boiling water over cocoa and stir until it thickens slightly. Add to the creamed mixture.
3. Add flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and vanilla and beat well.
4. Pour into a greased and floured 9"x 13" pan or two 9" layer pans. Bake 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees.
Quick Caramel Frosting
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 3/4-2 cups sifted confectioner's sugar/
1. Melt butter in saucepan. Add brown sugar and cook over low heat two minutes, stirring constantly.
2. Add milk and continue stirring until mixture comes to a boil.
3. Remove from heat and cool. Add confectioner's sugar until frosting reaches spreading consistency.