Read an Excerpt
Apple Butter in the Oven
8 qts. thick applesauce
8 qts. fresh cider
4 cups sugar
1 tsp. salt/
1. Make 8 quarts of thick applesauce. Place hot applesauce into the oven at 400 degrees.
2. Place cider in large kettle and boil until half has evaporated. Add cider to sauce in the oven. Allow oven door to stand slightly ajar so steam can escape. Stir occasionally.
3. After about 2 hours, add sugar and salt. Mix well. Allow about 2 more hours of cooking time until apple butter is the desired consistency, remembering to stir occasionally. Seal in jars.
"Each fall in the past we boiled apple butter in a large copper kettle, then put it into crocks. I still get hungry for that kind of apple butter. I believe the only way to get that flavor is to boil down the cider. So by experimenting I've come up with this method."
6 cups sugar
1 cup water
2 cups strawberries, crushed
1 tsp. alum/
1. Combine sugar and water. Boil 10 minutes.
2. Add strawberries and boil 5 minutes longer.
3. Add alum and boil 1 more minute. Pour into jars and seal.
Variation: For a thinner consistency, use only 4 cups sugar.
5 cups rhubarb, diced
4 cups sugar
6-oz. pkg. strawberry gelatin/
Combine rhubarb and sugar. Let stand overnight. In the morning, cook rhubarb for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in gelatin. Pour into jars and seal.
Variation: Add 20-oz. can crushed pineapple.