1. Make 8 quarts of thick applesauce. Place hot applesauce into the oven at 400 degrees.
2. Place cider in large kettle and boil until half has evaporated. Add cider to sauce in the oven. Allow oven door to stand slightly ajar so steam can escape. Stir occasionally.
3. After about 2 hours, add sugar and salt. Mix well. Allow about 2 more hours of cooking time until apple butter is the desired consistency, remembering to stir occasionally. Seal in jars.
"Each fall in the past we boiled apple butter in a large copper kettle, then put it into crocks. I still get hungry for that kind of apple butter. I believe the only way to get that flavor is to boil down the cider. So by experimenting I've come up with this method." Strawberry Jam
6 cups sugar
1 cup water
2 cups strawberries, crushed
1 tsp. alum/
1. Combine sugar and water. Boil 10 minutes.
2. Add strawberries and boil 5 minutes longer.
3. Add alum and boil 1 more minute. Pour into jars and seal.
Variation: For a thinner consistency, use only 4 cups sugar.
Table of Contents
Apple Butter in the Oven
Pear and Apricot Butter
Nine Day Sweet Pickles
Bread and Butter Pickles
Green Tomato Relish
Pickled Red Beets
Red Beet Eggs