- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
"It is our hope that the third edition of Between Worlds gives those involved with English language learners access to current research and language-learning theories as well as effective classroom practice."
-David and Yvonne Freeman
In this third edition of Between Worlds: Access to Second Language Acquisition David and Yvonne Freeman have included many of the classroom examples and teacher stories that readers of earlier editions have found invaluable for understanding key concepts for teaching English language learners. They have updated the book and added important features:
- A comprehensible overview of how people learn as well as how they learn language
- An introduction to theories of both first and second language acquisition
- A new, expanded discussion of bilingualism and bilingual education
- An explanation of how to teach academic language at different levels and appropriately assess students' academic language proficiency
- Reading essentials for ELLs including ways to use culturally relevant bilingual books
- Case studies of different types of English language learners
- Influences that affect how teachers teach.
Throughout the book, the Freemans focus on factors both in and outside of school that have an impact on teachers and students. They show how teachers can take an intercultural orientation and lead ELLs to academic success. This book is designed to provide preservice and inservice teachers, administrators, and staff developers with the latest research and best practices for working with English language learners.
1. Introduction to the Human Body 2. Basic Chemistry 3. Cells 4. Cell Metabolism 5. Microbiology Basics 6. Tissues and Membranes 7. Integumentary System and Body temperature 8. Skeletal System 9. Muscular System 10. Nervous System: Nervous Tissue and Brain 11. Nervous System: Spinal Cord and Peripheral Nerves 12. Autonomic Nervous System 13. Sensory System 14. Endocrine System 15. Blood 16. Anatomy of the Heart 17. Function of the Heart 18. Anatomy of the Blood Vessels 19. Functions of the Blood Vessels 20. Lymphatic System 21. Immune System 22. Respiratory System 23. Digestive System 24. Urinary System 25. Water, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Balance 26. Reproductive Systems 27. Human Development and Heredity