- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
PRAISE FOR A.K. DEWDNEY'S PREVIOUS WORKS
200% of Nothing
"It is impossible to read this timely, important book without enjoyment and eye-opening enlightment." -Martin Gardner
"In today's world 'innumeracy' is an even greater danger than illiteracy, and is perhaps more common.... I hope that this wise and witty book will provide cures where they are possible, and warnings where they are necessary. It's also a lot of fun. I can guarantee that 100 percent." -Arthur C. Clarke
Yes, We Have No Neutrons
"We need more books like this-especially if they're this much fun to read."-Wired
"Written with wit and a touch of pathos-and sure to please science lovers." -Publishers Weekly
"It's not everyone who gets to design a universe from scratch but A.K. Dewdney has done just that."-The Boston Globe
"Once you have been captivated by the two-dimensional Ardean world, the problems facing its difficult technology haunt you, begging for more solutions. Arde easily becomes a puzzle without end." -The New York Times
A Mathematical Mystery Tour
"Dewdney spins an absorbing narrative...an amenable introduction to a difficult subject." -Publishers Weekly
Introduction: Where Reason Cannot Go.
Math in the Cosmos.
1. The Energy Drain: Impossible Machines.
2. The Cosmic Limit: Unreachable Speeds.
3. The Quantum Curtain: Unknowable Particles.
4. The Edge of Chaos: Unpredictable Systems.
Math in the Holos.
5. The Circular Crypt: Unconstructable Figures.
6. The Chains of Reason: Unprovable Theorems.
7. The Computer Treadmill: Impossible Programs.
8. The Big-O Bottleneck: Intractable Problems.