Big Java: Compatible with Java 5, 6 and 7 / Edition 4by Cay S. Horstmann
No one brews up a better Java guide than Cay Horstmann, and in this Fourth Edition of Big Java he's created his best one yet. Thoroughly updated to include Java 7, this edition of Horstmann's best-selling text helps students absorb computing concepts and programming principles, develop strong problem-solving skills, and become better programmers, all while… See more details below
No one brews up a better Java guide than Cay Horstmann, and in this Fourth Edition of Big Java he's created his best one yet. Thoroughly updated to include Java 7, this edition of Horstmann's best-selling text helps students absorb computing concepts and programming principles, develop strong problem-solving skills, and become better programmers, all while exploring the elements of Java that are needed to write real-life programs.
In preparing the new edition, special attention was given to the quality and variety of exercise material- from skill-oriented multiple-choice questions to short code-completion exercises to multi-step lab exercises-offering instructors more ways to engage students at different levels, and providing more practice to students who need it.
A top-notch introductory text for beginners, Big Java, Fourth Edition is also a thorough reference guide for students and professionals alike to Java technologies, Internet programming, database access, and many other areas of computer science.
NEW TO THIS EDITION:
- How To sections walk through the steps to solving a problem, and Worked Examples apply these steps to motivational examples such as credit-card processing.
- Examples Tables present a variety of uses and special cases in a compact format.
- Common Errors, Tips, and Special Topics make it easy to refer back to topics when solving problems.
- Annotated Syntax Boxes call out features of typical example code to draw students' attention to the key elements of the syntax.
- Chapters have been revised to focus each section on a specific Learning Objective. Sections have been shortened to present the concepts and syntax and how they are applied.
- Early chapters have been thoroughly revised to provide more examples and concrete analogies.
Available with WileyPLUS, An Online Teaching and Learning Environment That Integrates the Entire Digital Textbook with the Most Effective Instructor and Student Resources to Fit Every Learning Style.
- WileyPLUS helps today's learners succeed in the classroom by providing programming students with almost unlimited opportunity to practice their skills and gain immediate feedback. Practice does make perfect!
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.95(w) x 9.82(h) x 1.54(d)
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Introduction.
Chapter 2 Using Objects.
Chapter 3 Implementing Classes.
Chapter 4 Fundamental Data Types.
Chapter 5 Decisions.
Chapter 6 Iteration.
Chapter 7 Arrays and Array Lists.
Chapter 8 Designing Classes.
Chapter 9 Interfaces and Polymorphism.
Chapter 10 Inheritance.
Chapter 11 Input/Output and Exception Handling.
Chapter 12 Object-Oriented Design.
Chapter 13 Recursion.
Chapter 14 Sorting and Searching.
Chapter 15 An Introduction to Data Structures.
Chapter 16 Advanced Data Structures.
Chapter 17 Generic Programming.
Chapter 18 Graphical User Interfaces (Advanced).
Chapter 19 Streams and Binary Input/Output (Advanced).
Chapter 20 Multithreading (Advanced).
Chapter 21 Internet Networking (Advanced).
Chapter 22 Relational Databases (Advanced).
Chapter 23 XML (Advanced).
Chapter 24 WEB Applications (Advanced).
Appendix A The Basic Latin and Latin-1 Subsets of Unicode.
Appendix B Java Operator Summary.
Appendix C Java Reserved Word Summary.
Appendix D The Java Library.
Appendix E Java Syntax Summary.
Appendix F HTML Summary.
Appendix G Tool Summary.
Appendix H JAVADOC Summary.
Appendix I Number Systems.
Appendix J Bit and Shift Operators.
Appendix K UML Summary.
Appendix L Java Language Coding Guidelines.
Alphabetical List of Syntax Boxes.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >