Biology: Science for Life, Books a la Carte Edition / Edition 3by Colleen Belk, Virginia Borden Maier
Pub. Date: 04/22/2010
Publisher: Benjamin Cummings
NOTE: This edition features the same content as the traditional text in a convenient, three-hole-punched, loose-leaf version. Books a la Carte also offer a great value–this format costs significantly less than a new textbook. Before purchasing, check with your instructor or review your course syllabus to ensure that you select the correct ISBN./b>… See more details below
NOTE: This edition features the same content as the traditional text in a convenient, three-hole-punched, loose-leaf version. Books a la Carte also offer a great value–this format costs significantly less than a new textbook. Before purchasing, check with your instructor or review your course syllabus to ensure that you select the correct ISBN. Several versions of Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products exist for each title, including customized versions for individual schools, and registrations are not transferable. In addition, you may need a CourseID, provided by your instructor, to register for and use Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products.
For non-majors biology courses.
Compelling and relatable stories engage students in learning biology
Colleen Belk and Virginia Borden Maier have helped students understand biology for more than twenty years in the classroom and over ten years with their popular text, Biology: Science for Life. The thoroughly revised Fifth Edition engages students with new storylines that explore high-interest topics such as binge drinking, pseudoscience, and study drugs. The book and MasteringBiology resources also help students develop scientific skills using new Working With Data figure legend questions and addresses common misconceptions with Sounds Right, But Is It? discussions in each chapter. This edition also offers a wealth of new “Flipped Classroom” activities and other resources to help professors enliven their classes and to help students assess their understanding of biology outside of class.
For instructors who cover Animal Structure and Function and Plant Biology, an alternate edition of this book, Biology: Science for Life with Physiology, is also available.
Also Available with MasteringBiology®
MasteringBiology is an online homework, tutorial, and assessment product proven to improve results by helping students quickly master concepts. Students benefit from self-paced tutorials that feature personalized wrong-answer feedback and hints that emulate the office-hour experience and help keep students on track. With a wide range of interactive, engaging, and assignable activities, students are encouraged to actively learn and retain tough course concepts. New assignment options for the Fifth Edition include Interactive Storyline activities, Working with Data questions, Savvy Reader: Evaluating Media activities, and more.
Students, if interested in purchasing this title with MasteringBiology, ask your instructor for the correct package ISBN and Course ID. Instructors, contact your Pearson representative for more information.
- Benjamin Cummings
- Publication date:
- Product dimensions:
- 8.40(w) x 10.80(h) x 1.00(d)
Table of Contents
1. Can Science Cure the Common Cold? Introduction to the Scientific Method
I. CHEMISTRY AND CELLS
2. Are We Alone in the Universe? Water, Biochemistry, and Cells
3. Diet. Cells and Metabolism
4. Life in the Greenhouse: Photosynthesis Cellular Respiration, and Global Warming
5. Cancer: DNA Synthesis, Mitosis, and Meiosis
6. Are You Only as Smart as Your Genes? Mendelian and Quantitative Genetics
7. DNA Detective: Complex Patterns of Inheritance and DNA Fingerprinting
8. Gene Expression, Mutation and Cloning: Genetically Modified Organisms
9. Genetically Modified Organisms: Gene Expression, Mutation, and Cloning
10. An Evolving Enemy: Natural Selection
11. Who Am I? Species and Races
12. Prospecting for Biological Gold: Biodiversity and Classification
13. Is the Human Population Too Large? Population Ecology
14. Conserving Biodiversity: Community and Ecosystem Ecology
15. Where Do You Live? Climate and Biomes
V. ANIMAL STRUCTURE AND FUNCTION
16. Organ Donation: Tissues, Organs, and Organ Systems
17. Clearing the Air: Respiratory, Cardiovascular, and Excretory Systems
18. Will Mad Cow Disease Become an Epidemic? Immune System, Bacteria, Viruses, and Other Pathogens
19. Sex Differences and Athleticism: Endocrine, Skeletal, and Muscular Systems
20. Is There Something in the Water? Reproductive and Developmental Biology
21. Attention Deficit Disorder: Brain Structure and Function
VI. PLANT BIOLOGY
22. Feeding the World: Plant Structure and Growth
23. Growing a Green Thumb: Plant Physiology
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >