Biology: Science for Life with Physiology with MasteringBiology / Edition 4by Colleen Belk, Virginia Borden Maier
ALERT: Before you purchase, check with your instructor or review your course syllabus to ensure that you select the correct ISBN. Several versions of Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products exist for each title, including customized versions for individual schools, and registrations are not transferable. In addition, you may need a CourseID,/b>/b>/b>… See more details below
ALERT: Before you purchase, check with your instructor or review your course syllabus to ensure that you select the correct ISBN. Several versions of Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products exist for each title, including customized versions for individual schools, and registrations are not transferable. In addition, you may need a CourseID, provided by your instructor, to register for and use Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products.
Access codes for Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products may not be included when purchasing or renting from companies other than Pearson; check with the seller before completing your purchase.
Used or rental books
If you rent or purchase a used book with an access code, the access code may have been redeemed previously and you may have to purchase a new access code.
Access codes that are purchased from sellers other than Pearson carry a higher risk of being either the wrong ISBN or a previously redeemed code. Check with the seller prior to purchase.
Coleen Belk and Virginia Borden Maier have helped students demystify biology for nearly twenty years in the classroom and nearly ten years with their text, Biology: Science for Life with Physiology. In the new Fourth Edition, they continue to use stories and current issues, such as discussion of cancer to teach cell division, to connect biology to student’s lives. Learning Outcomes are new to this edition and integrated within the text to help professors guide students’ reading and to help students assess their understanding of biology.
A new Chapter 3, “Is It Possible to Supplement Your Way to Better Health? Nutrients and Membrane Transport,” offers an engaging storyline and focused coverage on micro- and macro-nutrients, antioxidants, passive and active transport, and exocytosis and endocytosis.
- Benjamin Cummings
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.40(w) x 10.80(h) x 0.90(d)
Table of Contents
1. Can Science Cure the Common Cold? Introduction to the Scientific Method
I. Chemistry and Cells
2. Are We Alone in the Universe? Water, Biochemistry, and Cells
3. Is it Possible to Supplement Your Way to Better Health? Nutrients and Membrane Transport
4. Fat: How Much is Right for You? Enzymes, Metabolism, and Cellular Respiration
5. Life in the Greenhouse–Photosynthesis and Global Warming
6. Cancer–DNA Synthesis, Mitosis, and Meiosis
7. Are You Only as Smart as Your Genes? Mendelian and Quantitative Genetics
8. DNA Detective–Complex Patterns of Inheritance and DNA Fingerprinting
9. Genetically Modified Organisms–Gene Expression, Mutation, and Cloning
10. Where Did We Come From? The Evidence for Evolution
11. An Evolving Enemy–Natural Selection
12. Who am I? Species and Race
13. Prospecting for Biological Gold–Biodiversity and Classification
14. Is the Human Population Too Large? Population Ecology
15. Conserving Biodiversity–Community and Ecosystem Ecology
16. Where Do You Live? Climate and Biomes
V. Animal Structure and Function
17. Organ Donation–Tissues, Organs, and Organ Systems
18. Clearing the Air–Respiratory, Cardiovascular, and Urinary Systems
19. Vaccinations: Protection and Prevention or Peril? Immune System, Bacteria, Viruses, and Other Pathogens
20. Sex Differences and Athleticism–Endocrine, Skeletal, and Muscular Systems
21. Is There Something in the Water? Reproductive and Developmental Biology
22. Attention Deficit Disorder–Brain Structure and Function
VI. Plant Biology
23. Feeding the World–Plant Structure and Growth
24. Growing a Green Thumb–Plant Physiology
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >