The Biology of Disease / Edition 2by Jonathan Phillips
Pub. Date: 05/16/2001
The book fuses the biological (physiological and biochemical) processes which underlie the clinical manifestations of disease. As such, it brings together/i>
The second edition of The Biology of Disease is an introductory level text on the biological principles of human disease. The book is aimed at medical students in degree courses in biomedical science.
The book fuses the biological (physiological and biochemical) processes which underlie the clinical manifestations of disease. As such, it brings together material which is conventionally dealt with by several books. The authors have covered the fundamentals of each topic in a readable manner, which should encourage students to develop a fuller understanding, where necessary, by reference to more comprehensive texts.
- Integrates basic science and clinical medicine.
- Detailed case studies at the end of each chapter which emphasise the clinical setting.
- New chapters on transplantation immunology, anaemia, toxicology & poisoning.
- The use of non-technical language for the descriptions in the case studies to ensure that all students will comprehend the underlying principles.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.50(w) x 9.90(h) x 0.70(d)
Table of ContentsList of Contributors.
Preface to the Second Edition.
Preface to the First Edition.
1. The Nature of Disease.
2. Psychological And Social Aspects of Disease.
3. Principles of Epidemiology.
4. The Molecular Basis of Cell Reproduction, Senescence And Death.
5. The Inflammatory Response.
6. The Immune System.
7. Principles of Infectious Disease.
8. Bacterial Infection.
9. Virus Infection.
13. Transplantation Immunology.
15. Nutritional Disorders.
18. Toxicology And Poisoning.
19. Inherited Single Gene Disorders.
20. Chromosome Abnormalities.
21. Principles of Neoplasia.
22. The Molecular Basis Of Cancer.
23. Tumour Viruses And Human Cancer.
24. Cancer: Invasion And Metastasis.
1. Neurotic Symptoms Following A Road Traffic Accident.
2. Depressive Illness In Pregnancy.
3. Fever, Vomiting And Neck Stiffness In A Child.
4. Shortness of Breath And Vaginal Discharge.
5. Fever And Chills With Rigors.
6. Fever, Confusion And Breathlessness.
7. Coughing Up Blood By A Retired Coal Miner.
8. Persistent Coughing Up of Blood And Ankle Swelling.
9. Breathlessness In A Young Man.
10. Diarrhoea, Jaundice And Rash.
11. Protein In The Urine And Hypertension.
12. Fever And Cervical Lymph Node Enlargement.
13. Neutropenia And Recurrent Infection.
14. Fever And Leg Ulcer.
15. Chest Pain Radiating Tothe Left Arm.
16. Sudden Death In A Young Man.
17. Easy Bruising And Recurrent Epistaxis.
18. Diarrhoea And Abdominal Distension.
19. Abdominal Pain And Diarrhoea.
20. Recurrent Epigastric Pain With Abnormal Liver Function Tests.
21. Sudden Onset of Severe Pain In The Leg.
22. Rectal Bleeding With Diarrhoea.
23. Heart Murmur And Cleft Palate.
24. Seizure, Aggressive Behaviour; Rett Syndrome Affected Sister.
25. Recurrent Miscarriage.
26. A Neonate With Dysmorphic Features And High Pitched Cry.
27. Meconium Ileus In New Born.
28. Back Pain, Lethargy And Weight Loss.
29. Easy Bruising, Weight Loss And Abdominal Discomfort.
30. Bleeding From The Nose And Gums With Fever.
31. Night Sweats And Cervical Lymph Node Enlargement.
32. Hoarseness And Weight Loss.
33. Burning Sensation On Urination, Weight Loss And Skeletal Pain.
34. Change of Bowel Habit And Rectal Bleeding.
Colour Plate Facing
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >