Biology - With CD / Edition 7by Neil A. Campbell, Jane Reece
Neil Campbell and Jane Reece's BIOLOGY remains unsurpassed as the most successful majors biology textbook in the world. This text has invited more than 4 million students into the study of this dynamic and essential discipline.The authors have restructured each chapter around a conceptual framework of five or six big ideas. An Overview draws students in and… See more details below
Neil Campbell and Jane Reece's BIOLOGY remains unsurpassed as the most successful majors biology textbook in the world. This text has invited more than 4 million students into the study of this dynamic and essential discipline.The authors have restructured each chapter around a conceptual framework of five or six big ideas. An Overview draws students in and sets the stage for the rest of the chapter, each numbered Concept Head announces the beginning of a new concept, and Concept Check questions at the end of each chapter encourage students to assess their mastery of a given concept. New Inquiry Figures focus students on the experimental process, and new Research Method Figures illustrate important techniques in biology. Each chapter ends with a Scientific Inquiry Question that asks students to apply scientific investigation skills to the content of the chapter.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction: Exploring Life.
UNIT ONE: THE CHEMISTRY OF LIFE.
2. The Chemical Context of Life.
3. Water and the Fitness of the Environment.
4. Carbon and the Molecular Diversity of Life.
5. The Structure and Function of Macromolecules.
UNIT TWO: THE CELL.
6. A Tour of the Cell.
7. Membrane Structure and Function.
8. An Introduction to Metabolism.
9. Cellular Respiration: Harvesting Chemical Energy.
11. Cell Communication.
12. The Cell Cycle.
UNIT THREE: GENETICS.
13. Meiosis and Sexual Life Cycles.
14. Mendel and the Gene Idea.
15. The Chromosomal Basis of Inheritance.
16. The Molecular Basis of Inheritance.
17. From Gene to Protein.
18. The Genetics of Viruses and Bacteria.
19. Eukaryotic Genomes: Organization, Regulation, and Evolution.
20. DNA Technology and Genomics.
21. The Genetic Basis of Development.
UNIT FOUR: MECHANISMS OF EVOLUTION.
22. Descent with Modification: A Darwinian View of Life.
23. The Evolution of Populations.
24. The Origin of Species.
25. Phylogeny and Systematics.
26. The Tree of Life: An Introduction to Biological Diversity.
UNIT FIVE: THE EVOLUTIONARY HISTORY OF BIOLOGICAL DIVERSITY.
28. The Origins of Eukaryotic Diversity.
29. Plant Diversity I: How Plants Colonized Land.
30. Plant Diversity II: The Evolution of Seed Plants.
32. An Introduction to Animal Evolution.
34. Vertebrate Evolution and Diversity.
UNIT SIX: PLANT FORM AND FUNCTION.
35. Plant Structure, Growth, and Development
36. Transport in Vascular Plants
37. Plant Nutrition
38. Angiosperm Reproduction and Biotechnology.
39. Plant Responses to Internal and External Signals
UNIT SEVEN: ANIMAL FORM AND FUNCTION
40. Basic Principles of Animal Form and Function.
41. Animal Nutrition.
42. Circulation and Gas Exchange.
43. The Immune System.
44. Regulating the Internal Environment.
45. Chemical Signals in Animals.
46. Animal Reproduction.
47. Animal Development.
48. Nervous Systems.
49. Sensory and Motor Mechanisms.
UNIT EIGHT: ECOLOGY.
50. An Introduction to Ecology and the Biosphere.
51. Animal Behavior and Behavioral Ecology.
52. Population Ecology.
53. Community Ecology.
55. Conservation Biology and Restoration Ecology.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >