Biomimicry for Optimization, Control, and Automation / Edition 1by Kevin M. Passino
There are many highly effective optimization, feedback control, and automation systems embedded in living organisms and nature. Evolution persistently seeks optimal robust designs for biological feedback control systems and decision making processes. From this comprehensive text you will gain knowledge of how mimicry of such biological processes can be used to… See more details below
There are many highly effective optimization, feedback control, and automation systems embedded in living organisms and nature. Evolution persistently seeks optimal robust designs for biological feedback control systems and decision making processes. From this comprehensive text you will gain knowledge of how mimicry of such biological processes can be used to solve optimization, control, and automation problems encountered in the construction of high technology systems. Mathematical stability analysis is treated for a number of cases, from attentional systems to social foraging swarm cohesion properties. Bio-inspired optimization and control methods are compared to conventional techniques with an objective to provide a balanced viewpoint.
• A companion web site, continually updated by the author, will provide you with further examples and design problems, solution hints, lecture slides, a running lab and ongoing self-study problems and resources.
• MATLAB® code is provided to solve a number of key problems.
• Focus lies on verifying correct operation of technologies via a process of mathematical modelling and analysis complimented by computer simulations.
• Written from an engineering perspective, methods are applied to extensive real-world applications, from ship steering to cooperative control of a group of autonomous robots.
Aimed primarily at graduate courses and research, much of the material has been successfully used for undergraduate courses. This dynamic textbook sends an injection of new ideas into engineering technology and the academic community.
- Springer London
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.30(w) x 9.44(h) x 1.87(d)
Table of Contents
Part I: Introduction.- Challenges in Computer Control and Automation.- Scientific Foundations for Biomimicry.- For Further Study.- Part II: Elements of Decision Making.- Neural Network Substrates for Control Instincts.- Rule-Based Control.- Planning Systems.- Attentional Systems.- For Further Study.- Part III: Learning.-Learning and Control.- Linear Least Squares Methods.- Gradient Methods.- Adaptive Control.- For Further Study.- Part IV: Evolution.- The Genetic Algorithm.- Shastic and Non-Gradient Optimization for Design.- Evolution and Learning: Synergistic Effects.- For Further Study.- Part V: Foraging.- Cooperative Foraging and Search.- Competitive and Intelligent Foraging.- For Further Study.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >