Bisexuality and Transgenderism: InterSEXions of the Othersby Fritz Klein, Karen Yescavage, Jonathan Alexander
Pub. Date: 06/28/2004
Publisher: Taylor & Francis
This book, guaranteed to provoke debate and discussion of sexuality and gender, is the first devoted exclusively to the relationship between transgenderism and bisexuality. Combining the work of scholars and activists, professional writers and lay people,
Explore the common groundand the important differencesbetween bisexuality and transgenderism!
This book, guaranteed to provoke debate and discussion of sexuality and gender, is the first devoted exclusively to the relationship between transgenderism and bisexuality. Combining the work of scholars and activists, professional writers and lay people, Bisexuality and Transgenderism: InterSEXions of the Others proesents ideas, thoughts, feelings, and insights from a variety of contributors who are committed to understandingand deepening our understanding ofgender and sexuality. You’ll find scholarly essays, narratives, poetry, and a revealing interview with four male-to-female transsexuals, two of whom are married to women who also participate in the discussion. In addition, the book includes insightful chapters by well-known advocates of transgenderism, including Jamison James Green, Coralee Drechsler, and Matthew Kailey.
The editors of Bisexuality and Transgenderism: InterSEXions of the Others make the provocative but crucial claim that the larger queer community looks at B and T lives as mere add-ons to L and G. In this book they focus attention on bisexuality and transgenderismmoving the margins to center stage and exploring how sexuality, gender, desire, and intimacy are constructed and circulate in our society. The book’s inclusion of voices and scholarship from Eastern cultures challenges our understanding of sexuality and gender constructions all the more, giving this collection a global scope.
Here is a sample of what Bisexuality and Transgenderism: InterSEXions of the Others examines:
- biphobia and transphobia within the United States’ gay and lesbian community
- the bi/trans and subversive aspects of the works and images of cultural icons Angelina Jolie and Sandra Bernhardt
- how bisexual and transgendered identities are socially constructed through relationships
- the false promise of pomosexual playwhy the concepts of postmodern sexuality fail to rewrite the construction of gender
- why swingers who practice bisexual and transgender behavior are often disdained and marginalized by other GLBT people
- suicidal thoughts and other mental health concerns of bisexual males and females, as well as transgender people
- Eastern perspectives on sexual/gender identitieswith revealing chapters on gender identity in Japan and Indonesia
Table of Contents
- About the Contributors
- Bisexuality and Transgenderism: InterSEXions of the Others
- GL vs. BT: The Archaeology of Biphobia and Transphobia Within the U.S. Gay and Lesbian Community
- INTERSECTING COMMUNITIES: B/T CONCERNS IN COMMON
- Yeah, Yeah, Oh-Yeah, Just Dropped in to See What Condition My Condition Was In
- Pomosexual Play: Going Beyond the Binaristic Limits of Gender?
- Swing It Baby!
- Bisexual and Transgender Identities in a Nonclinical Sample of North Americans: Suicidal Intent, Behavioral Difficulties, and Mental Health Treatment
- REAL(IZING) LIVES: PERSONAL AND THEORETICAL B/T IDENTITY FORMATIONS
- The Story So Far
- Social Bodies, Pagan Hearts
- There Are Different Points in Your Life Where You Can Go Either Way: Discussing Transsexuality and Bisexuality with Some Women of CrossPort
- Looking Toward the InterSEXions: Examining Bisexual and Transgender Identity Formation from a Dialectical Theoretical Perspective
- REEL LIVES: B/T POP CULTURAL ICONS
- Trans/positioning the (Drag?) King of Comedy: Bisexuality and Queer Jewish Space in the Works of Sandra Bernhard
- Butch-Femme Interrupted: Angelina Jolie, Bisexuality and the New Butch Femme
- WESTERN INTERSECTIONS, EASTERN APPROXIMATIONS
- Living More Like Oneself: Transgender Identities and Sexualities in Japan
- While Diving, Drink Water: Bisexual and Transgender Intersections in South Sulawesi, Indonesia
- Outing and Duplicity
- STEERING QUEER OF LGBTI IDENTITY POLITICS
- Walking Through Walls: An Immodest Proposal for Trans-cending Sexual Orientation
- We Are All Others: An Argument for Queer
- Centering: An Alternative Perspective
- Reference Notes Included
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >
She exploded on sami's face as well. Then quickly got up and turned around, pressing her pus.sy against sami's pus.sy. Their orga.sms go into each other's pus.sy. Resha gasps. "Oh yes!!!!" She kisses sami.